First rune/any advice welcomed!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 11th March 2018, 02:15

First rune/any advice welcomed!

I have been playing this game now for about 2 or 3 months and I could never even make it to one of Lairs branches. Today, playing a HOMo^Beogh I got my first rune ever from swamp and I wi
As sooo amped!! Then on top of that, got the second rune from Spider. Don't know which one I should run after next. This might be something small for most, but to me this is a huge accomplishment!! Thank you ahead of time!

https://pastebin.com/yjAaVuz2

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 11th March 2018, 21:44

Re: First rune/any advice welcomed!

Carefully do Vaults:1–4, then come back for more advice.

Do NOT try Vaults:5 at that point! It is very hard!

EDIT: Put on the plate armour of fire resistance. Train Long Blades to 20, then don't train any more LB the rest of the game. Don't train any other melee weapons the rest of the game. Train lots of Fighting and Armour and some Dodging the rest of the game. Train Invocations if you're using Smite and Evocations if you're using them. Try not to train anything else.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 12th March 2018, 09:09

Congratulations. Sometimes getting through the Lair branches can really feel like some of the worst. They can be tedious even when (if) they're not all "that" hard for some runs, barring some awesome equipment. There's just so much skilling up still to be done that early in the game.

Agree, I'd probably go for some heavier armor right soon. You should have enough Armor skill and strength to at least start using the Plate without losing too much EV. A little more could make it pretty solid until you maybe find something more exciting (various dragon scale armors). Or if nothing else amazing appears, you could keep enchanting the rF plate on up with scrolls, and maybe even use it all the way down to Zot.

The elec sword is fairly awesome, although it's still safer to stay in the narrow spaces when you can and limit how much stuff is coming at you.

I like to hold the Beogh summons away most of the time until there's a big fight, and then drop them all in as a big horde with Recall. (I tend to only do this a few times per game though.) But by now, you may be getting your own Beogh strategy down.

The usual progression is Vaults:1-4 sooner or later after Lair branches. If you're feeling strong after that, then Depths. If you're feeling strong against living stuff and have more resistances, just possibly Elf but that isn't required and can get pretty scary if you haven't done it much. If you've picked up a holy weapon or are feeling very solid in melee and have your ranged/smite going pretty strong too, then possibly Crypt. If you spot serious trouble in the deeper floors of one of these, you can probably back out and try an early floor of one of the others and you might find a shop (particularly around Elf 2) or a lucky drop. (Some people like even prefer Abyss for the third rune, but that isn't my cup of tea. Maybe if you have a lot of rN, all around strong combat stats, and a holy weapon and again some ranged power.)

Vault:5 is like, save for after all the rest of Vaults PLUS most or all of Depths at least.
Last edited by stoneychips on Monday, 12th March 2018, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 12th March 2018, 09:19

I gotta admit, normally with a hill orc I'd be very tempted to go crazy with that Manual of Axes.

But the sword is really good, and the manual can at least wait until you find a bigger axe lying around somewhere to make it really shine.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th March 2018, 19:28

Agreeing with the above: take long blades to 20, then train mostly fighting/armor with some dodging mixed in. Wear the best heavy armor you can find, which right now is that +1 plate of fire resistance.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is a few tips for playing with Beogh - your allies are strong enough to carry you through most of the game, so knowing how to get the most out of them is important.

Spellcasters (Orc Sorcerer/High Priest) sadly never get to be all that durable, and so it's tough to keep them alive. What you want is to carry a few melee orcs with you, but not too many. This makes sure they get enough experience to get upgraded all the way to warlords. You currently have 1 warlord and 1 of each caster; try to bring a second orc knight/warrior with you to start upgrading to a second warlord. Give your warlords polearms - I believe spears are actually their best weapon type (it's less damage but it doesn't slow them down as much), but you can give them a bigger polearm if you have good ones. Being able to reach 2 spaces lets them get hits in before they start taking damage, and be able to get to and reach new threats showing up in your LOS sooner. I think you can only gift each one once still, so you can't give them specific armors if you gave them a polearm, but if any come with a polearm, try to gift them an armor which has fire resistance. Gold dragon scales is ideal, but you won't find that until very late. Any plate or chain with fire resistance is good. Don't give up your own armor to equip an ally, though.

If you can find a vampiric polearm, regardless of type, give that to a warlord. 2-3 warlords with polearms should be able to carry you through most of the game until Zot:5, really.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
stoneychips

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice