"Secret tech" for shopping lists / vendors?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 24th February 2018, 19:03

"Secret tech" for shopping lists / vendors?

I'm looking for some tips to make the shopping aspect of the game more efficient for me.

When I want to see what's available in a shop, anywhere, the only technique I know is to search for the term "gold", either as the sole search criteria or part of a joined expression like "potion&&gold". I do also use the shopping list a lot.

What might be nice, if it exists, would be a search option that only shows me things in shops that I can currently afford, and/or the ability to sort items in shops from cheapest to most expensive.

Any suggestions, or am I already using the best available techniques for "bargain hunting"? Thanks all.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 24th February 2018, 22:23

Re: "Secret tech" for shopping lists / vendors?

When you enter a shop, if you want to put something on your 'shopping list', hit the capital version of its letter (e.g. if the item is b, hit B). You know it's successful when the $ sign appears.

Exit the shop. Hit $. You will see all items, sorted by cost. Items you can afford are lit up, items you can't are grayed out.

When you pick up enough gold to afford something on your shopping list, Crawl will print a message.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
dolemite99

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 24th February 2018, 23:11

Also, if you put something into your shopping list and you find a cheaper version of the same item in another shop, the game will prompt you.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
dolemite99

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 24th February 2018, 23:21

Thanks guys. Your feedback tells me that I should be using the shopping list feature way more than I currently am! I never paid attention to it sorting by price before, that is very handy to help me visualize that "potion [A] plus scroll [B] plus wand [C]" are a cheaper bulk purchase than "torso armour [X]".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 25th February 2018, 00:04

You can also search for "shop" then toggle travel/view ("!"?) to see what's in each. While looking at these, you can use the capital letters to put things on your shopping list.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 4
dolemite99, Stairdancer, VeryAngryFelid, Zhorgal

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice