Inventory issues

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 4th February 2018, 00:48

Inventory issues

So, I'm running my Gno Mo o' Cheibro again. Doing really well (largely thanks to a +6 ring of slaying, amulet of regen, and having 28 EV before I even found Lair).

My inventory is mostly full right now -- bare minimum armor with only 2 items I plan to use for swaps (1 armor with rF, and a scarf of Rep Missels). Scrolls are all identified and really useful, same with potions (and even a few useful ones have been dumped because they just didn't make the cut, like potions of flight and scrolls of fog). I have several spell books, but they're all containing useful spells for me like Statue Form etc (well, my book of Conjurations I'll probably chunk -- have better conjurations from other books).

I feel guilty about holding on to a staff of air and staff of earth (EDIT: Just found a staff of wizardry, so same questions about this), though. I know both of them make decent weapons with high enough Evocations/(XYZ Magic School) skills due to the electrocution/crushing effects (unless I'm mistaken??...). That said, after I clear out swamp I'll be clearing out the Orcish Mines, so I know I'll find better weapons.

My big question is if keeping these staffs is worth it. Will I ever get suitable damage out of them, and do they provide boosts that are useful enough to be worthwhile?

Moving on, what about creating "stashes"? I've heard that using places like Lair 3 to dump your gear works as a way of storing items for later retrieval...is this viable? I feel like I'd just end up forgetting about that.

Also, found the Macabre Finger Necklace. Since most of my resistance-giving items thus far are rings (rF, rC, rCorr, rN) and I am NOT taking off my ring of slaying (or my ring of evasion), I figure the extra slot and rN might be useful to have.

Next, I found a Fen Folio. I know Hydra Form is way too low on defenses to be worth bothering with, and Leda's Liq just seems blegh, what's the opinion on Summon Hyrda, Summon Forest, and Corpse Rot? Corpse Rot I'd probably skip, and Summon Hydra sounds powerful enough for quick offense (but hydra are so squishy...). Summon Forest seems like it'd be fun to pair with my Bolt of Fire.

Anyhow, would like advice on this.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th February 2018, 02:00

Re: Inventory issues

Alphaeus wrote:So, I'm running my Gno Mo o' Cheibro again. Doing really well (largely thanks to a +6 ring of slaying, amulet of regen, and having 28 EV before I even found Lair).

My inventory is mostly full right now -- bare minimum armor with only 2 items I plan to use for swaps (1 armor with rF, and a scarf of Rep Missels). Scrolls are all identified and really useful, same with potions (and even a few useful ones have been dumped because they just didn't make the cut, like potions of flight and scrolls of fog). I have several spell books, but they're all containing useful spells for me like Statue Form etc (well, my book of Conjurations I'll probably chunk -- have better conjurations from other books).

At very least drop your books, just go back to them wherever they are when you are ready to memorize a spell from them, control-F "name of spell" will find the book and selecting it will auto-travel to it. Posting a character dump would let us give you more specific advice (both about what to drop and how to proceed)
Alphaeus wrote:I feel guilty about holding on to a staff of air and staff of earth (EDIT: Just found a staff of wizardry, so same questions about this), though. I know both of them make decent weapons with high enough Evocations/(XYZ Magic School) skills due to the electrocution/crushing effects (unless I'm mistaken??...). That said, after I clear out swamp I'll be clearing out the Orcish Mines, so I know I'll find better weapons.

If your primary weapon is spells, the corresponding ice/fire/cold/earth staff helps damage-wise with them (more significantly at mid level skill) to be decent melee weapons you need staves, evocation, and the corresponding spell skill, for most spell-slingers they aren't going to want to invest much extra XP in that direction, obviously gnolls don't care. As melee weapons they are above average, but not best-possible, if you have the skill points, they are also one handed, and provide the corresponding resistance.
Alphaeus wrote:My big question is if keeping these staffs is worth it. Will I ever get suitable damage out of them, and do they provide boosts that are useful enough to be worthwhile?

The boosts are pretty decent, the damage is also decent, However micromanaging swapping to them for blasting then swapping back for killing with a weapon sounds like a hassle that isn't worth it to me.
Alphaeus wrote:Moving on, what about creating "stashes"? I've heard that using places like Lair 3 to dump your gear works as a way of storing items for later retrieval...is this viable? I feel like I'd just end up forgetting about that.

Stashes are a waste of time, it used to be the case that you had to worry about Jelly's appearing and eating your stuff, or monsters picking up your extra stuff and using it against you. Lair:2-3 didn't ever generate Jellies and didn't ever generate intelligent monsters capable of picking things u, so back then it was a good place to drop stuff that you wanted to come back for later (With some question of whether it was worth the time to travel back and forth to drop things there). Jellies no longer eat stuff, Monsters no longer pick up and use things you've seen/dropped, and Control-F lets you find anything you want anywhere in the dungeon and auto travel to it whever it is, so just leave things you aren't going to be using wherever, and go get them when you want them. Making stashes is a waste of time.
Alphaeus wrote:Also, found the Macabre Finger Necklace. Since most of my resistance-giving items thus far are rings (rF, rC, rCorr, rN) and I am NOT taking off my ring of slaying (or my ring of evasion), I figure the extra slot and rN might be useful to have.

The Macabre Finger Neclace is pretty good, *sometimes* the benefits of a specific amulet outweigh the free rn+ and ring slot, but not frequently
Alphaeus wrote:Next, I found a Fen Folio. I know Hydra Form is way too low on defenses to be worth bothering with, and Leda's Liq just seems blegh, what's the opinion on Summon Hyrda, Summon Forest, and Corpse Rot? Corpse Rot I'd probably skip, and Summon Hydra sounds powerful enough for quick offense (but hydra are so squishy...). Summon Forest seems like it'd be fun to pair with my Bolt of Fire.

Corpse rot is really really powerful for a level 2 spell, without knowing where you are in the game, I don't know if it's *still* useful, but it's pretty damn good. Summons are generally powerful, Hydra's are better offense than defense (But really if the critter is attacking you and your hydra is attacking it, it's just a ton of free offense), and Summon forest is weird, you have to be very careful you don't light yourself and your area on fire if you're using bolt of fire (or fireball, or lightning bolt) when using it, but it's pretty powerful as long as you know how to work around it's drawbacks.

Leda's is very meh, very rarely useful if you're standing still and want to pelt things with ranged attacks without wanting to be able to walk away/escape yourself, generally I skip Leda's.
Alphaeus wrote:Anyhow, would like advice on this.
Last edited by Siegurt on Sunday, 4th February 2018, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th February 2018, 02:01

(Double post, sorry)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th February 2018, 09:54

The only stash I use is a spellbook stash for books that contain spells that I might be interested in learning. This way I can go to the stash, press 'M' and make a decision about which spell to aim for next. I might lose a little piety for the traveling but the convenience makes it worth it imo. I place this stash in a central place, such as Lair entrance or D:15 or something like that.

If we had some kind of 'library' system to see all spells you have found on one screen (with success-% of course), this stash would be useless.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 4th February 2018, 17:07

When I get to the lair entrance, I clean my inventory. Ditto orc, and when I enter vaults and depths.

Its rather unlikely that I return pick things up that aren't spellbooks, but it does happen occasionally.

Weapon swapping between a staff and a main weapon is very much a thing. I use the ";" key to swap between weapons in the a and b slot easilly. If I need a 3rd weapon (usually a dagger) i'll put it in 'w' so i can double tap w to swap.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 4th February 2018, 18:51

Winning doesn't count without a proper stash!

Code:
.∩∩o<))))..
..∩..((....
..∩..[[[[..
..∩..|.....
..∩..""""..
..∩..====..
..∩../.....
..∩..?????.
..∩..!!!!!.
..∩..::....
..∩..}}....

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
stoneychips

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 5th February 2018, 00:51

I think this touches on the request people have that "spellbooks" be much like runes in that they have their own non-inventory space where you can peruse them.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 5th February 2018, 07:38

I think a stash still has its place. Particularly in the late game, and even in extended, you'll want to fiddle with your gear (armour, jewellery, artefact bonuses, etc) to get the best mix of resistances and stats for your next branch, and then it is is helpful to have all relevant items in one spot, instead of having to travel all over the dungeon to try out a new combination. The same goes for spell books, where you want them all close by to decide on your best and most efficient use of spell levels.
Maɟaŋ

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 5th February 2018, 21:23

This stash thingy is a relic of the past. A complete waste of time unless you play 0.14 or earlier version.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th February 2018, 22:11

A dump would provide more detail for us to give tailored advice, but here goes: The finger necklaces is very strong and something you should consider, although I'd probably try to make sure you have at least some regeneration before removing an amulet of regeneration.

Generally speaking staves of earth/air are not very good as melee weapons, largely due to the fact that they require training far too many skills to be useful. I hadn't really considered it before now, but gnolls actually remove this problem entirely; you could melee with them if you really wanted to. That being said, you'd still be a lot better off with unarmed + statue form. I do recommend keeping wizardry if you need it to cast statue form, but once that's online I'd just keep earth and wield that when casting, and then take it off. It should raise your statue form ac by 2-3 points.

It might be interesting to fsim the staff of earth on gnolls since they have all the skills, but I don't think the proc damage would be multiplied by statue form, so they'd probably fall behind other weapons.

Note I've actually won a game with the staff of earth as a challenge condition, but it was done as a deliberate conduct: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 075833.txt

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice