Advice on playing^WJC?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 27th January 2018, 00:36

Advice on playing^WJC?

So I've been running several different types of chars^Wu Jian Council, and I really like the movement-based powers, but I can't help but feel like I'm not using all the martial attacks optimally. The wiki isn't much help, and it's definitely wrong about more than one thing.

My main question is this: How exactly do I use the pin from whirlwind to my advantage, since it only lasts one turn and I have to be adjacent to the monster to activate it?
Other questions: the wiki says that lunging isn't optimal when you're luring a few monsters at a time. I think this is true at least. How would I use it better? Only during Serpent's Lash/Heaven on Earth? Repositioning when fighting a big pack?
What is the damage ratio on whirlwind attacks?
Are there any other tips for mad jukes/sick plays that are somewhat straightforward to pull off?
Current Victories:
Spoiler: show
3 Runes: GrEE^Ru, CeBe^Trog, SpEn^Gozag, KoAr^Dith, TeAE^Kiku, TrCK^Xom.
4 Runes: VSFi^Qaz.
5 Runes: DsGl^Oka, MiGl^Hep, GnWz^Sif.
9 Runes: DDAr^Makh.
15 Runes: HOFi^TSO->Zin, DEFE^Veh
For now...

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 27th January 2018, 03:25

Re: Advice on playing^WJC?

i use whirlwind pin to hold confused/stumbling enemies in place. its also nice against batty creatures (if you can see them)

Lunge and/or whirlwind opportunities happen in fights against bands all the time, though you should still avoid fighting too many monsters at the same time. Wall jumping can help make openings in enemy positioning.

whirlwind is 80% damage. martial attacks under serpent's lash have their damage multiplied by 1.4 and never miss

the greatest use for serpent's lash is letting you leave an adjacent opponent behind as you go make a break for the stairs

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 27th January 2018, 15:44

the pin effect is nice to create 1 tile distance to get away from scary dudes.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 27th January 2018, 21:39

Pin is useful early game to get a space between you and a monster (regardless of its speed). Whirlwind is also okay for giving weapons pseudo-cleaving.

You should be using lunge against basically everything since 1) It has a damage bonus and 2) it front-loads a lot of damage if you get a double-hit, especially with serpent lash.

I have not entirely figured out how to best use wall jump. It does front-load a lot of damage since you will attack everything about 3 times with a mindelay of 7 auts (i.e. if you can kill the monster in 3 hits you may kill it before it has a chance to damage you). It's pretty good with serpent lash.

Use serpent lash a lot. It's WJC's most powerful ability and is fairly cheap. Assuming a 7 aut mindelay (most weapons), you are making an average of about 3 attacks with a damage bonus that never miss, instantly. This can also be done to multiple enemies.

You can lunge and whirlwind at the same time if monsters are in the right spot. Example with some hapless orcs:
  Code:
..o..
...o.
..@o.

In this example moving up would whirlwind attack both of the orcs on the right and lunge attack the orc above them. With a 7 aut attack delay this means you would do an average of 4.3 attacks by making that move. Do recall that this can be done instantly using a serpent lash move.

Fun fact, attacks done while lunging cleave. If the above example was done with an axe, the player would get an extra attack on the middle orc.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks: 3
stoneychips, Tulse, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice