When to use !Haste?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 16:29

When to use !Haste?

I find that I rarely use potion of haste, except as Swiftness in a bottle to escape. Tell me please of other situations where I ought to be using it.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 17:35

Re: When to use !Haste?

* When you need more killpower - it affects every actions so you deal more damage, whatever you're using physical or magical attacks.
* When you need to repositioning yourself before or during a combat and normal speed isn't good enough
* Whey you need to get the fuck out a bad situation and ?blink or other transloc are not good\available
* When you need to move somewhere fast - usually it means rune\orb stealing
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 17:53

haste makes all of your actions faster... ideally you would always be hasted. so use haste in any dangerous situation.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 19:06

Whenever I play the new versions, I find like 5-6 potions of haste in a whole game, and like 10 in an all-rune run. So my problem is not that I don't use them enough, quite the contrary: I would like to haste a lot more.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 20:35

I (almost) always use haste against OoFs on Zot:5, all rune bosses and any especially dangerous feeling uniques. And always before descending to V:5.

Other than that, if I feel the situation is going to be dangerous and teleporting might not be enough, it's better to use up a potion than die. Ancient liches often cause me to use one.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 21:19

Also: use haste sooner rather than later. Maybe this is why you underuse it - you wait to use consumables until you are already at low hp, at which point hw or blink become more immediately necessary. If you use haste earlier on in a fight, you are not only more likely to win the fight but more likely to escape if things go poorly.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th January 2018, 23:16

Never - Such things are forbidden. Although it has been known to be possible to use them liberally on d:1-3, should you happen to identify them that early.

(post is at least 30% intended to be humorous)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th January 2018, 08:03

Also haste is very useful after berserking because slow from berserking lasts a long time and even scroll of blinking is not going to save you because monsters will be attacking you again very soon.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice