N00b questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 01:57

N00b questions

Is there a max level? Is there a new game+ or equivilant? Are there mod tools available? Where can I find actual descriptions of various abilities and mutations (for example, I got long nails on a demonbred but could not find anywhere that actually told me what specific effect these have)? Is there a way to see how much damage is being done? Is there something I am overlooking that would explain why a fighter hits weak (first few floors) less than 20% of the time? Do helmets, gloves and boots affect spellcasting? Why are item name colors different when I step on to a tile and have them described in text box, click on the tile and see the loot list, or have item equipped (I have found a couple items that would be blue in one or two of these palces and green in the others)? Why was the paladin removed (I like the class name)? Is there a way to view other stats (like current food consumption rate)?

I have more, but these are what I am most curious about right now, and the answers to these will affect the other questions I have. I did read the wiki and FAQ, as well as several tutorials around these forums, so if I overlooked something obvious with all the answers to these feel feel to ridicule me before or after you point me to it.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 02:23

Re: N00b questions

Thanks for the reply.

Once max level is reached can one continue to train skills, or improve attributes via other means? How much coding knowledge is needed for simple mods? Such as boosting max level, or enabling demigod god worship? What exactly is that 'spoilers' link? I followed it but the entries seemed random and unconnected. What is TSO?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 02:29

Yes, I don't know, I don't know, it's a dictionary of some kind, it explains the terms commonly used by the community, The Shining One a.k.a. the god of the paladins.

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
Stormy Fairweather

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 03:54

So paladins were removed because their god plays better in -late-game? Huh.

New question, how do I disable the _ that preceded many lines of text (currently setting p my UI to suit me better, and I am nearly certain I read something about that in another thread).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 04:06

So paladins were removed because their god plays better in -late-game? Huh.

You'd want TSO's powers when fighting demons, and demons (especially powerful ones) are only common in lategame.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 05:05

Another UI related question... I cannot get sort_menu to work at all. I am playing the new test build, but I am almost certain the game is loading the init, because I had a change relating to the amount of text displayed take.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 08:25

Stormy Fairweather wrote:How much coding knowledge is needed for simple mods? Such as boosting max level, or enabling demigod god worship? What exactly is that 'spoilers' link?

Those are simple changes. You just need to know a little bit of C++. The link is the learndb. You might find it easier to use the search interface to it.

Stormy Fairweather wrote:New question, how do I disable the _ that preceded many lines of text (currently setting p my UI to suit me better, and I am nearly certain I read something about that in another thread).

show_newturn_mark = false

Stormy Fairweather wrote:Another UI related question... I cannot get sort_menu to work at all. I am playing the new test build, but I am almost certain the game is loading the init, because I had a change relating to the amount of text displayed take.

The option is spelled sort_menus
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Stormy Fairweather

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 10:59

I found the new turn thing just awhile ago, but thanks for that anyway. I am finding the learndb quite useful, and I have already started monkeying around with the files (shoulda just looked at them before asking if I needed tools).

As to the menus, I put in the following line;

sort_menus = true : equipped, freshness, charged, art, ego, basename, qualname, curse, qty

I want it sorted gear/food/tools/loot (by quality), what this get me is potions/scrolls/wands/food/amulets/rings/armors/weapons/books/staff of wizardy [e] (I guess this one is artifact). I tried inv: true, any: true, and several different lists, none of it appears to affect my in game loot. Almost certain I am doing it wrong.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 20:57

I must be doing something wrong with the sort thing, I connet even get it to sort equipped items out. I tried;

sort_menus = true : equipped, basename
sort_menus = any: true : equipped, basename
sort_menus = inv: true : equipped, basename
sort_menus = true : equipped

And several other variations, absolutely nothing I put in to that line is working. In the init there are two lines relating to menu_sort, one for pickup, I left that commented out because I understand only the last menu takes effect, but I am completely confused why this isn't working. (0.9.0)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 09:53

This is set by default in init.txt:
  Code:
sort_menus = inv: true : equipped, freshness, charged

equipped items are sorted out by default. It's working fine for me:

Code:
 b - a +0 scale mail (worn)
 c - a +0 shield (worn)
 a - a +0 leather armour

This isn't working for you?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 21:27

Stormy Fairweather wrote:So paladins were removed because their god plays better in -late-game? Huh.

Yes, but it bears explaining!

In Crawl, your starting background is mostly relevant to the earlier part of the game. You can play the same style all the way through, but you don't have to. Adapting to what you find is an important part of winning. A major reason for the professions is to differentiate the early game!

Since Paladins' striking feature is their God, who is fairly useless early on - and available to everyone who reaches the Ecumenical Temple, also in the early game - they didn't make much sense as a background.

At least, I think this is how the reasoning went - I never got around to playing a Paladin before they went away.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 23:41

The striking feature of the paladin background that the background was actually used for was the starting falchion. It was the only background that started with a long blade, so many players started as a paladin and immediately abandoned TSO in favor of whichever deity they were planning to follow anyway. This isn't really the idea of the paladin concept, so falchions were added to other martial backgrounds, and at that point there was no reason to keep the paladin at all. Picking up TSO at the Temple with the starting equipment of another background is as strong or stronger than the old paladin background, while sacrificing absolutely none of the paladin flavor.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 01:54

Yeah galehar, I copied that code exactly as you posted, and this is what it gives me.

As to the paladin, I like having a class name that matches a playstyle. Not that big a deal, I just like being able to choose what my char is called. I have not found out where to modify classes or species, which sucks cause I have a couple ideas I wanted to try out. But it hardly matters, there is plenty to keep me busy.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 07:58

the sort_menus option only works for the inventory menu, not the inventory panel. This could be improved of course, but nothing wrong on your end.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 08:42

I figured it was a comprehension problem on my end, I had thought that was the menu. Thanks for the clarification.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice