Speculations about slaying vs. base damage

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 4th January 2018, 15:18

Speculations about slaying vs. base damage

So here are a few thoughts I've had about the relationship between slaying and weapon base damage. They're probably all wrong, but hopefully I'll learn something from how they are fixed.

1. When weapon skill is low, slaying is equal to base damage because this is the situation where +accuracy actually helps.
  2. As weapon skill grows, one point of slaying gradually becomes worth about a third of a point of base damage at max skill.
  3. If you ID ?EW early, spend it on your current weapon if you are using a fast weapon with an additive brand, or on a Fi/Gl tier weapon with a good brand, or on any higher tier weapon. Otherwise save them.
Last edited by MainiacJoe on Thursday, 4th January 2018, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th January 2018, 15:25

Re: Speculations about slaying vs. base damage

I believe base damage cannot be compared to slaying because base damage is multiplied by several factors which depend on weapon skill, fighting skill and strength while slaying is a simple addition.
Also I ignore accuracy as I am lazy to calculate it and chance to hit greatly depends on monster EV.
Don't be lazy to use fsim when it matters IMHO.

I am not sure if I understand you properly, I hope you are not advising to enchant a weapon which is not used yet.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 4th January 2018, 15:56

Re: Speculations about slaying vs. base damage

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I believe base damage cannot be compared to slaying because base damage is multiplied by several factors which depend on weapon skill, fighting skill and strength while slaying is a simple addition.
Also I ignore accuracy as I am lazy to calculate it and chance to hit greatly depends on monster EV.
Don't be lazy to use fsim when it matters IMHO.
The distinction between how base damage is multiplied, and slaying damage is not, is important, thank you.

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I am not sure if I understand you properly, I hope you are not advising to enchant a weapon which is not used yet.
No. Point three is for very early characters such as those that identify ?EW via ?ID on D:2 when they're still using the starting mace or have picked up a short sword for a book start. But I finally figured out what confused you, and edited it.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice