Corpse Rot: Knowing where corpses are

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 21:26

Corpse Rot: Knowing where corpses are

Today as HuNe^Kiku I was fighting a pack of monsters that included Rupert. I killed several monsters adjacent to me, and then Rupert stepped onto that square. Corpse Rot, however, did not hit him because none of those monsters had left corpses (Xom chuckles). I wonder, is there any way for me to inspect the tile a monster is on, to see whether it is standing on a corpse? I have the impression, which may be wrong, that when Kiku delivers corpses one is always on your tile for AS, Simulacrum or Invoke Torment, and the rest go onto empty squares in LOS. But corpse/no-corpse in combat is silent and random, and in this case I played odds and lost. I still killed Rupert, I had a spear of pain at mindelay, but it was a more dangerous combat than if he'd been in miasma.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 23:02

Re: Corpse Rot: Knowing where corpses are

Corpse Rot is most likely the most powerful spell early Necromancer can get.
You do get the warning if you're casting Corpse Rot under some other corpse not to get engulfed by miasma.
If a game-breaking spell does not make you happy when playing a necromancer, I'd suggest play something else.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 02:38

You really did read that wrong, it's not a complaint. I know that it is a strong spell. But after reading what you wrote, I see that with Mephitic, say, I don't know which of the 3x3 squares will get fumes, nor do I know exactly where Freezing Cloud will go. I even have more control over where Corpse Rot happens than any of those spells.

Probably what I'm frustrated is the inability to inspect stacks I'm not standing on, instead of the spell itself. I mean, a pair of gloves isn't going to hide a dragon corpse.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 04:00

even if you could examine the stack you still wouldn't be able to tell if there was a corpse there, you have to step on the square to see any newly generated items under whatever is at the top of the pile. you can check what items are visible in LOS by pressing ctrl-X (and then selecting the item will reveal where it is on the screen), although that is clearly not the best implementation

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 08:38

Ignoring the interface problem, the tactical one is that moving around just to find a eventual body isn't usually a very good move when in LOS there's a monster with berzerk and paralyze.

I'd make a simple suggestion as workaround: couldn't be possible to always put a corpse in top of items pile, if present?

This would alleviate this identification and interface problem with all Necro spell, not just corpse rot - which is a broken spell with some major problems (for which I'd advocate either a heavy rework or the removal).
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 12:24

nago wrote:Ignoring the interface problem, the tactical one is that moving around just to find a eventual body isn't usually a very good move when in LOS there's a monster with berzerk and paralyze.

This is not the problem. The problem is : I have killed some monsters, some of them were standing on square X. Now Rupert is standing on square X. Should I cast Corpse Rot or is it a waste of a turn? Is there a corpse under him?
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 13:37

ctrl-f corpse

For this message the author Plantissue has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 15:12

Fingolfin wrote:
nago wrote:Ignoring the interface problem, the tactical one is that moving around just to find a eventual body isn't usually a very good move when in LOS there's a monster with berzerk and paralyze.

This is not the problem. The problem is : I have killed some monsters, some of them were standing on square X. Now Rupert is standing on square X. Should I cast Corpse Rot or is it a waste of a turn? Is there a corpse under him?

Yes, this. I was a couple squares into a corridor with a group of monsters at the mouth of that corridor, and Rupert at the far side of the room the monsters were in. I had entered the room from this corridor, and there was a group of popcorn monsters at the far side of the room. I was fighting them in the middle of the room when previously-unseen Rupert came to the noise from a far door to this room, and I retreated into the corridor I entered from. Rupert did eventually muscle his way through the crowd to me, but by then I had killed three or four monsters on square X adjacent to me in the corridor.

Of course I could have delivered corpses and then retreated. But in a corridor corpses would have appeared behind me, and I might have had to retreat several squares before it was safe for me to Rot. The time to have done that was right when Rupert appeared, but I missed that opportunity. But I knew I had no corpse under me, and that Rupert might have a corpse under him, so I tried Rot.

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 15:38

Plantissue wrote:ctrl-f corpse

THIS WORKS!

I had a corpse in LOS, and then one of my derived undead stepped on it. I could not see whether there was a corpse there via x-v or otherwise, but [Ctrl][f] "corpse" and selecting its entry in the list of results highlighted the square it was on, under the derived undead.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 19:13

I just tried this with a summoned ice beast and it didn't tell me there was a corpse under a giant club. But I mostly use it for animate dead.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 22nd December 2017, 02:52

As CanOfWorms explains above, if there's a stack of items on a square, unless you step on it, you won't know what's underneath the top item.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 22nd December 2017, 04:07

Sphara wrote:Corpse Rot is most likely the most powerful spell early Necromancer can get.
You do get the warning if you're casting Corpse Rot under some other corpse not to get engulfed by miasma.
If a game-breaking spell does not make you happy when playing a necromancer, I'd suggest play something else.

Corpse rot sucks. eom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 22nd December 2017, 12:16

MrPlanck wrote:
Sphara wrote:Corpse Rot is most likely the most powerful spell early Necromancer can get.

Corpse rot sucks. eom.

It's actually pretty good
make food great again

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 22nd December 2017, 13:41

Corpse rot both sucks and is a powerful spell.

It's a powerful spell because it can safely and reliably neuter many dangerous enemies despite being level 2. It sucks because the effort involved in getting it to work makes me want to go bash Rupert and his glowing triple sword with my +6 artifact mace instead.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd December 2017, 16:47

Maybe make it a targeted spell with very large AOE.

As you move it around and target, it highlights the positions of corpses

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice