How to Always Throw

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th December 2017, 04:08

How to Always Throw

So I had this question below, and as I was typing up my post I realized the answer. I tested it, and it works! Rather than erase my post, I'll share my discovery instead.

The original question:
  Code:
How might I set my autofight to always throw, even at range-1 enemies, swinging only if I have no throwing ammo?  Current game has an ammo god, many javelins and oodles of tomahawks already on hand, and Shoals yet to do.  No good M&F have spawned or been gifted yet, and fsim tells me that javelins are already more damaging than the best melee weapons I have on hand.  I'm thinking about just going all-in on Throwing (I also have a +8 blowgun, but this is irrelevant to my question).  A nice resist-stick for a throwing character might also be a case where this would be handy.

The solution: wield a launcher, then quiver javelins. I tested with the blowgun, but I'll probably go back and find that {MR+ SInv} hand crossbow.

Two subsequent questions:
  1. I sure hope the +8 enchantment on my blowgun isn't aiding my javelins. I mean, it would be nice, but it would also be a bug. I have no idea how to check.
  2. I don't have time to test it now, but I suspect that I'd need to do something with auto-quiver when an inventory slot of ammo runs out. I have my RC file set up to set inventory letters on pickup so that the throwing ammo progresses alphabetically from best to worst ammo, but if I have a launcher, then what? Say my hand crossbow, if I carry no bolts, will autoquiver progress from the steel javelins (e) to the returning ones (f)? Or, not finding bolts when my manually quivered steel javelins run out, will it put nothing in?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
mattlistener

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 25th December 2017, 11:47

Re: How to Always Throw

Whenever I want to throw I just go into the ziggurat.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 27th December 2017, 17:26

Re: How to Always Throw

Couldn't you also set a macro to do "f."? It's not quite the same as tabbing, but it's pretty close.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice