Leaving Notes for Myself Between Sessions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 14:12

Leaving Notes for Myself Between Sessions

Is there any way to leave a note in-game right before or as I save that will pop up with --more-- when I restart the game? I'm restarting a game that I had to suspend abruptly last night, and I'm in the middle of a stretch of unexplored floors and I know there was a reason I was backtracking but I don't recall what it was. I suppose I could get in the habit of annotating and checking game notes when I start a new session, but I'm hoping there's a more in-your-face way to say, "don't forget this when you play next!!!"
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 15:35

Re: Leaving Notes for Myself Between Sessions

You can add to your notes using ":". Can also use "!" to annotate the current level with a warning.

Force more also works on level annotations. Just use some unique string like "the quick brown fox" as part of your annotation and force more on that string.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 16:07

Thanks, bel!

Here is what I discovered just now:
  • When you save on a floor that has an annotation, the annotation is repeated to you when you reload the game.
  • When that annotation has a "!" warning flag, nothing different happens. After all, the game can't ask you whether you're sure you want to be on the floor your game is saved on!
  • adding "force_more_message += remember" to your RC file and including that word in your annotation that you make before you save does indeed prompt you with "--more--" when loading the game! It also makes you hit space after setting the annotation, but that's a price worth paying.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 16:17

One way is to inscribe your weapon with something like "learn Iron Shot" or "stone giant near Orc:2 stairs" before saving.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 20:31

Hm, having a ! level note trigger a more when loading on that level, at least by default, seems like a pretty reasonable idea.

For this message the author advil has received thanks: 2
MainiacJoe, Rast

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice