Kobold Fighter with a Quickblade

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 20:56

Kobold Fighter with a Quickblade

First things first (first post), AWESOME GAME DEVS!! :D

I've gotta kofi, he is doing (finally) pretty damn good. After dying about a zillion times in the early game, I managed to both a) figure out the basics of survival and b) luck out enough to get a decent starting weapon (venom dagger) to carry me thru to the actual game. Woot! Kobolds are nice, and with this mutated version I have to eat like once a level, but man they are squishy in the beginning! :cry:

Rastlin the Spry (Kobold Fighter) Turns: 35924, Time: 04:38:35

HP 94/94 (96) AC 14 Str 17 XL: 15 Next: 2%
MP 17/17 EV 37 Int 14 God: Okawaru [******]
Gold 2148 SH 16 Dex 25 Spells: 1 memorised, 15 levels left

Res.Fire : x . . See Invis. : . r - +7,+9 quick blade "Cyffiomp" {god gift, pain, rF- Int+4 Stlth+}
Res.Cold : . . . Warding : . . o - +3 leather armour "Tret" {Dex+5}
Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : . T - +0 buckler {god gift}
Res.Acid. : + . . Res.Corr. : + U - +2 helmet {Int+3}
Res.Poison: + Clarity : . j - +2 cloak {darkness} {god gift}
Res.Elec. : . Spirit.Shd : . x - +0 pair of gloves
Sust.Abil.: . . Stasis : . D - +0 pair of boots (curse)
Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: . Y - amulet of resist corrosion
Res.Rott. : . Levitation : . m - ring of poison resistance
Saprovore : + + . Ctrl.Flight: . z - +3 ring of evasion

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: disease resistance, talons 2, carnivore 3, saprovore 2, slow metabolism 1, Str -1, Dex +2
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

As you can see, Okawaru just gifted me a (I think) _really_ nice quickblade. Except for that bit with the fire vulnerability, but meh its only one rank and Im sure ill find a ring somewhere (famous last words? :? ). Ive cleared lair to 2nd lvl, mines to 3rd, D down to like 18 or something, and wiped out the Hive. Anyhow, I am trying to figure out a good way to bump up my necromancy for the pain brand (I planned on branching into magic anyhow), but the only 1st lvl necro spell I have so far is animate skeleton (one rank in spellcasting is all I have atm). Will Oka get mad if I leave skeletons to rot at the stairs? Does he get real mad if they just happen to die in battle (not by my direct hand)? Is the pain brand even worth it? I imagine I have an endgame weapon, but what do I know?

To that end, my natural dex is 20, Ive started to put points into Int now,..how high of an Int does a sneaky, stabby melee kobold need to get decent at magic? Or should I just keep pushing dex? Dodging is already at 20, figured I would max it, tho Im starting to think of turning it off for a while so I can push a few other skills up (fighting at 14, traps only at 4, stealth 10, stabbing 5, shortblades 12, shields 5, evocation 4).

Any advice? Also on things I didnt ask, I dont mind spoilers. Im gonna die anyways :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 21:05

Re: Kobold Fighter with a Quickblade

daggaz wrote: the only 1st lvl necro spell I have so far is animate skeleton (one rank in spellcasting is all I have atm). Will Oka get mad if I leave skeletons to rot at the stairs?

IMHO:
The quickblade is good enough and pain brand is only good in the mid-early game. By the time you get necromancy up to a more than decent enough level, you won't need it.

Otherwise, (1) set your skills to manual, FOCUSED training (2) get the spell and cast it a few times and kill some things to pre-victory dance Necromancy to level 1, then (3) shut off everything except Fighting and Necromancy and hit the focus button on Necromancy; you'll never have to cast animate skeleton again (though it is helpful, even if you are with Oka).
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 21:35

Use the 'Z' command to cast the spell without any corpse or skeleton. Since you are kobold, you will need 7 levels of shields to remove shield penalty, which on a quickblade can be real bad.

If you want to see how fast you are attacking put this into your config file:
show_game_turns=true
Last edited by CommanderC on Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks:
daggaz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 21:45

Lol.. or cry.. I died to a minotaur in a labyrinth. He gored me half to death in two hits (I was doing pretty good on him tho until then)

Thanks for the advice tho, Ill keep it in mind on my next incarnation. :roll:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 01:29

Yeah, draconians make up the majority in Zot, and pain brand owns them. Also don't forget about those Orb Guardians.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 08:52

And dragons. All of them, save for shadow ones!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 14:23

minmay wrote:
XuaXua wrote:The quickblade is good enough and pain brand is only good in the mid-early game.

Huh? Pain is ridiculously good all the way up to Zot, and pretty useful even there.

I prefaced with IMHO; also you can see how many times I make it to Zot.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice