Brand new with Qs about Assassins

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 09:06

Brand new with Qs about Assassins

Hey everyone,

I'm brand spankin' new to DCSS, 3rd day playing... though countless hours sunk in already. Finally found a good Crawl game!

Anywho, after playing... well, more of just dying than anything... for a while, I started looking up on the wiki for some tips and then to the forums to browse some builds and stuff...

I've seen a fair amount of recommendations for things like Kobold Berserkers. But none of those really interest me. So far the race/background combo I've liked the most is Spriggan Assassin. It's hard to find any tips advice on this duo though, but it's one that I've made it the farthest with - and by far (unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, this is not very far at all =P).

So what I'm wondering is - Is this a viable end-game character? I've ALWAYS preferred the thief/assassin/rogue type characters in games and would like to continue with it, but I keep getting to some blocks... Mainly with how I should train my skills. I've gotten much better at avoiding dangerous situations with monsters. As an assassin I've been mainly focused on stealth, dodging, and short swords. I'm a huge fan of stealth, as seeing a sleeping monster around a corner and not having him wake up has saved my life countless times... and the rare times they DO wake up, as a Spriggan I can generally run away fast enough. And because Spriggans dont need to eat very much, I feel like I am able to dance around dangerous things easier (not worrying about starving while running around for long periods of time).

Any tips, tricks or advice will be greatly appreciated... I'm not really worried about being "spoiled"... this is just a great, challenging (yet interestingly enough, not frustrating) game for me to kill some time with. Thanks in advance ^^

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 09:24

Re: Brand new with Qs about Assassins

Stealth is a totally viable build for winning the game, especially as a Spriggan. And really emphasize the "assassin" part of your job, too - build up your Stabbing skill by using short blades against all those sleeping monsters you catch. Sleeping + Stabbing + Short Blades (especially daggers) = a metric fuckton of damage, and it only gets moreso as those skills rise. By the end of the game, it's possible to one-shot sleeping dragons and Orb guardians and other tough monsters. And if your Stealth is high enough, you won't even wake up all the monsters sleeping next to them, either!

So, as you've probably gathered, skills you need to build up are Short Blades, Stealth, Stabbing, Fighting, and Dodging. Since you're not playing a Berserker, branching into magic is possible, too, but that can be tricky for a new player (first you need to read scrolls until you have Spellcasting, then you have to find spell books with low-level spells that you'll be able to learn and build up your magic skills with). Which magic skills you keep activated depend on what sort of spells you want to learn (and have available).

Another thing you should think about is what god you should pick once you get to the Ecumenical Temple. Unfortunately, there is no one right answer there. Makhleb or Okawaru would be good choices if you're not into magic - Makhleb offers demonic summons and blasts, while Okawaru gives you enchanted equipment and abilities that increase your combat stats. On the other hand, Vehumet or Kiku are the best choice if you're trying to learn magic from scratch, because they both give you spell books with entry-level spells (Vehumet offers blasty and/or summoning spells, while Kiku is for necromancers). Or you might prefer one of the other gods... that's one of the best things about Crawl, there's so many interesting choices.

For this message the author Happy Corner has received thanks: 3
Isius, maxdov, MyOtheHedgeFox

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 11:24

Thanks for the feed back Happy :)

Yeah I've had a hard time picking a god that I really like right now. I'm really not a magic fan at all, so I think I may stick with Okawaru for now, but I've learned best through trial and error and like to experiment a bit, so we'll see how it goes... Just want to make sure I'm on an okay track heh.

PS. This community seems pretty nice from what I've read and seen. That's a big plus to me. I like being able to ask questions and not have people go "lol noob".

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 12:07

I like assassins, too. A SpAs has very high early survival chances, because of spriggan speed and curare needles for emergencies. In my opinion, it should be a combination recommended as much as KoBe and sorts.

Some further comments: Invisibility has enormous potential for your stabber (it increases stealth). Use it if you want to stab a room full of monsters (who cannot see invisible, of course), without anyone noting.
Enchant your curare needles. That way they last longer.
Among the gods, Ashenzari should be mentioned. Knowing in advance where the monsters are is a godsend for a stabber. In tough spots, you can even gain full disclosure. If you go with Ashenzari, it's probably a good idea to pick up some casting. You can reskill from one school to another later on, depending on needs and book finds.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
maxdov

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 12:09

As a non-magic fan, you're probably better off with Trog than Okawaru. Note that playing an assasin without spells is usually very challenging... but Trog will compensate for this. Berserk is a very useful ability (generally more so than Heroism), especially early on, and he will gift short blades and needles to help your damage output and stabbing. Vehumet sounds like a really bad choice since not only do you have to wait till you reach very high piety, but Spriggans are also bad at conjurations and said spells make lots of noise. Kikubaaqudgha is fine.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 12:15

cerebov has a point. On the other hand, a berserking spriggan will have food problems, in my opinion. Choices, choices... :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 17:31

dpeg wrote:cerebov has a point. On the other hand, a berserking spriggan will have food problems, in my opinion. Choices, choices... :)

I wouldn't spam the ability like a Troll, Felid or Kobold would, but it is a nice pre-emergency button. Brothers in Arms is great too, and a spriggan (herbivorous) gains Trog piety really fast. :)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 22:44

Spriggan Berserkers are indeed strong, and actually one of my favorite combos (I've won more with SpBe's than any other combo, by a small margin). The mere idea of a sneaky tree ninja who flips out and kills things is totally awesome. Their food problem isn't so bad as you might think, either. You have to play the early game with more restraint than other Berserkers, of course, but once you conquer the Hive, that's enough food for the game - and some runs you can find enough food even without the Hive. Piety gain (and quickblade acquisition) is also faster than normal due to mass corpse sacrifices. Being a Spriggan is almost like having an amulet of faith built-in.

No, I kept my original advice focused on Assassins (and not Trog/Berserkers) because that's what the OP wanted. I think Okawaru is a solid choice, too. He may not have Trog's berserk button or brothers in arms, but he offers armor as well as weapons, and considering all the equipment issues Spriggans have, the extra gear could help a lot. (With Spriggan Berserkers, putting together enough resistances for the endgame can be an issue.) I know Isius said he didn't care about magic, but that door is still open with Okawaru, too. With their massive aptitudes for Translocations/Charms/Spellcasting, it's easy for Spriggans to pick up several spells that are really useful in melee (Blink, Repel Missiles, Shroud, Phase Shift, Haste, etc). Yes, even quick Spriggans can get surrounded and need to blink occasionally...

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 05:45

"I know Isius said he didn't care about magic" (She* :) )

Thanks everyone - sorry was away all day playing softball and now I'm burnt to a crisp. *cringes*

I hadnt really thought of going with trog actually. Sounds an interesting route - and I may try him out for a few runs, but I think I will probably end up going with Okawaru due to points about some other spells still being available then - and occasional spells like haste, blink or repel missile dont really break my own view of an assassin.

[Edit: tired and fail at spelling]

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 12:20

Okawarus Might is pretty sweet as a stabber as it increases stealth and stabbing both. Support spells are awesome, and even simple spells as blink or repel missiles help a lot.
I also like Spriggan Berserkers, but without the carefree berserking they are not that easy to play.
You could also try stalker as a background, they are also in the stabbing department, but have some very nice early spells (evaporate, like a better mephitic cloud) that have a good synergy with stabbing.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 15:06

female crawler in tavern? Intriguing. :)
anyway, go for Oka.
1) if you fail to sneak up and end up face to face with ogre - heroism. Buffs your defences AND your otherwise meager melee damage output.
2) besides armour, Okes will shower you in needles(and darts) so you may spew that curare without hesitation.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 18:24

Not really related, but it did happen to one of my SpAs :( .... I knew trap doors could be dangerous but I would have died for sure otherwise... ....but then it put me here:

*sigh* Out of the frying pan into the fire I suppose.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 21:14

Isius wrote:"I know Isius said he didn't care about magic" (She* :) )

My apologies, Isius. The roguelike community is normally such a sausage-fest, it had never even occurred to me. My own woman is better at the Grand Theft Auto games than I am (I know, I should be ashamed) and is a huge fan of the original NES, but I've never been able to get her to understand the magic of Crawl.

Going back to the original subject, I was playing around with Spriggan Assassins last night (this thread made me curious), and another good god for them is Nemelex Xobeh. I wasn't actually planning to pick him, but I found his altar on D:2 that game and thought "what the hell". Actually, Nemelex is a great god for Spriggans, because you can sacrifice almost everything to him, so all that junk Spriggans never use (corpses, armor, non-short blades, meat food...) is suddenly useful again. And if you misuse the many decks of summoning and end up with something hostile, you can usually run from it anyway. In fact, the hordes of decks he rains on you (and his abilities to manipulate them) are quite powerful, and require a lot less skill to get up and running than magic. I kept summoning hordes of everything and stabbing the bad guys while they were distracted. I was planning to learn magic, too, but the decks were so powerful I never got around to it. (It's just as well, because even after clearing the Lair, the ONLY spell books I'd found were a lousy Book of Morphology and the high-level Annihilations and Necronomicon. WTF?)

The only downsides were that there were so many fricking decks I couldn't carry them all with my pathetic Spriggan strength and had to start stashing them (or just leaving them behind). I also overused the decks so much that eventually my defensive/fighting skills fell behind, eventually leading to my lazy death at the hands of lava monsters. That's okay, I was getting a little tired of constantly having to decide how many decks to carry and how to manipulate all of them anyway. Still, that was farther than I usually get when I play a new god (when I play a god OTHER than Trog, Maklheb, and occasionally Evyvilon, I usually die like two minutes later), so if your SpAs doesn't get anywhere with Okawaru, you might give Nemelex a try.

Another thing I should warn you about Spriggans (of any class) is that their low strength and short blades don't do a lot of damage. In the early game that's not so bad, but when you get to the midgame and later, it becomes a real issue when you can't stab something. To get past that (especially without a lot of magic), you don't just need a good short blade (ideally a quickblade with max enchantments and a flaming, freezing, or elec brand). You also need a ring of slaying or +damage randart if you can possibly get your hands on one. It's probably worth using one even if it has a penalty to something else - one of my Spriggan Berserkers who ascended had a -2 randart hat, but it had a +dam bonus and that was more important.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 23:13

But then you lose your awesome stabbing bonus! (And like I wrote earlier on this thread, it gets pretty awesome.) Then again, I suppose you can have it both ways, switching from short blade to demon whip when you can't stab... and unlike most races, Spriggans can often afford to take a step back first.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 01:35

(No worries about the he/she thing haha, completely understandable on the web)

I really havent had an issue with damage output on my Spriggan Assassins... Daggers do so much damage with stabbing, and once you get to the point where you can sneak up on so many things, it's just a one hit fest.

I've played around with Nemelex on another one of my characters, but haven't tried it on one of my SpAs yet - I think I'll give it a go if the opportunity comes up :)

I havent had very much luck with Okawaru but on on my best attempt on a SpAs was actually with Yredelemnul.... It was kind of fun, because of 1 shotting things, you can build up an army really fast if you're in a pinch - plus since you dont eat meat you can raise pretty much everything from the dead. Okawaru is safe, but doesnt feel like worthy of taking up because he's so bland to the others. I've found if I just collect poison needles and save them for emergencies, I have more than enough. I only use them on very hard hitting things like Ogres or some Uniques... keep poison on them and kite them around 'til they die. I use the same tactic on things that I cant stab and threaten me. I dont know how far is considered "mid game" - I think the furthest I made it was floor 16 or 18.... but I havent had an issue with damage using that strategy so far. Yaks I can take head on (in a corridor 1 at a time of course), and Elephants I poison and run from.

EDIT: By the way, one time I came upon the temple entrance - but it was encased by glass. I went up to the next floor and hoped maybe a trapdoor down lead to it, but nope.... How am I suppose to get past that? :( Could only people with Pass Wall do that? It sucked :(

(I dont like to double-post, so editing again)

New SpAs... last one had YASD to running into an open room, and getting mauled by too many enemies to escape. Killed the Crazy Yiuf or whatever his name is dude, and he dropped a +3 +4 quarterstaff of chaos. I put it on for Lols... and holy crap. I didnt realize a non-short sword could hit so hard on a SpAs (at least on these few 6 floors so hard). I have my skills on Manual and dont have any staff skill, but I feel like a beast haha.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 02:43

Yeah well I am getting really tired and stupid and ran straight into an ogre shortly after, while holding down a key, and died horribly haha.

This go around is really nice though... just on D:4 I found two crystal daggers: +5 +6 dagger "Kloqes" (<33) and +3 +2 Dagger of Bojeov.

And as far as Kiku goes - most of bonuses seem to be mainly for Necromancy (from what I gather on the Wiki), and I don't really want to go into a spellcasting field on my Assassins :) If he is still good for non-spellcasters, feel free to let me know.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 04:11

My best by over 10k points so far haha :(

15798 Urif the Unseen (level 12, -2/57 HPs)
Began as a Spriggan Assassin on Sept 4, 2011.
Was a Priest of Nemelex Xobeh.
Slain by an orc warrior
... wielding a +2,+2 orcish hand axe of chopping
(5 damage)
... on Level 14 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 01:30:22 (21088 turns).

Skills:
- Level 4 Fighting
* Level 10 Short Blades
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 13 Dodging
+ Level 19 Stealth
+ Level 12 Stabbing
- Level 1 Traps & Doors
- Level 7 Spellcasting
- Level 1 Evocations

Sigh, went down the stairs into a large pack of nasty monsters... went back up but was immediately cornered by them and got splatted :(

Made it to my first Labyrinth though - and one hit that lazy sleeping minotaur! >:C

Nemelex was fun-ish, but I dont think I'll go with him again. Next time I'm going to try Trog I think - and less spellcasting (forgot I had it on x_x). I know my fighting is really low but I was completely fine without it... I could have avoided getting cornered in the stairs, but I was foolish and went down for a second look for some reason so they were all close to the stairs the 2nd time. Getting sleepy u.u

EDIT: Totally forgot my dagger would have let me Berserk too =_=

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 04:52

Nice job! (Hey, every new high score is a victory.)

Fighting should stay on for Spriggans, though. (And every other character, for that matter.) In fact, I'd advise you to go into focus mode and focus it. Spriggans have low HP, but Fighting can help that somewhat.

Since you're going Trog next, I'll also advise you that Spriggan Berserkers get a lot of mileage out of slings. When stabbing and/or berserking fails, you can outrun the tough monsters and slingshot them to death! (Yes, even when slowed from berserking, a Spriggan can still outrun normal-speed monsters.)

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 05:13

So why would I go slings when I can use my blowdart and poison needles? Are slings more powerful hit-for-hit? I havent tried using one yet.
EDIT: And if I went for slings, should I put skills into Slings? Feels like just another skill to water them down :(

I feel almost like it's a waste of skill "points" to put it into Fighting... I guess it's ingrained into me that focusing anything to do with HP is for fighters and some clerics. I'd much rather the points go into stealth/dodge. It was quite fun running into a room of killer bees and picking them off one by one as they sleep. I'll try keeping it on though and see how it goes.

The feedback is always much appreciated ^^

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 05:16

Blowguns don't directly deal damage. There are a lot of poison-resistant monsters.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 07:27

Isius wrote:Thanks :)

So why would I go slings when I can use my blowdart and poison needles? Are slings more powerful hit-for-hit? I havent tried using one yet.
EDIT: And if I went for slings, should I put skills into Slings? Feels like just another skill to water them down :(

I feel almost like it's a waste of skill "points" to put it into Fighting... I guess it's ingrained into me that focusing anything to do with HP is for fighters and some clerics. I'd much rather the points go into stealth/dodge. It was quite fun running into a room of killer bees and picking them off one by one as they sleep. I'll try keeping it on though and see how it goes.

The feedback is always much appreciated ^^

You're welcome!

Slings... what pratamawirya said. Blowguns don't do damage directly, they just cause an effect (poison, paralysis, etc). They're great in the beginning, but become less and less worthwhile as you get deeper. Slings on the other hand cause direct damage, and sometimes a lot of it! If you see any silver bullets, hold on to them, because they're not common and they really hurt monsters that are vulnerable to them.

You don't need to max out your Slings skill, either. Just a few levels are enough to take care of business (and encourage Trog to keep giving you ammo). When I play Spriggan Berserkers, I actually turn off Slings skill until Trog gives me the quickblade (or whatever weapon) I want to use for the rest of the game, then I turn Slings skill back on. This is because the higher a weapon skill is, the more likely Trog is to give you a weapon of that type, and I don't want his gifts to be used on ammo until I have a great melee weapon.

As for Fighting, I don't see that as a waste at all. Maybe "HP is a fighter/cleric thing" is how it goes in a Final Fantasy-style RPG, where you have a whole party of characters and you can easily resurrect anyone who dies, but Crawl is not so forgiving, and you need all the HP you can get! Especially considering attacks like smiting/hellfire that don't care how much EV you have. And don't worry about it taking points from your Stealth/Dodge skill, either. With their great aptitudes, Spriggans can easily reach badass levels of Stealth and Dodge even with Fighting on.

If you stick with Short Blades, though, you should turn THAT off around 8. If I remember right, that's the minimum needed to get the fastest attack speed with a quickblade. Any more Short Blades skill only goes to accuracy, and your other skills are more important.

While we're on the subject, skill management is one of the nicer things about playing a Berserker. They don't have or need a lot of different skills, so even if you pick up a ranged weapon or get confused about Fighting or your weapon skill, it's not taking away THAT much XP from your other skills.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 07:40

You can safely turn Slings off when your attack speed with a sling is "quite fast".

One often-underlooked nice thing about berserker is: you always get a rod when you ask for a staff from a scroll of acquirement (because magical staves are useless to you, since you can't use spells). So, it's actually not so strange for a berserker to use Deflect Missiles and abjure summoned demons :)

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
Happy Corner

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 08:01

It's the same way for Berserkers using acquirement for books, you get a manual instead of a spellbook (or at least I did back in .8 when I used to do that). But that's not quite as useful.

For this message the author Happy Corner has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 09:01

Happy Corner wrote:It's the same way for Berserkers using acquirement for books, you get a manual instead of a spellbook (or at least I did back in .8 when I used to do that). But that's not quite as useful.

I didn't know that :)

One more thing. If you ever decide to go sling, better save your enchant weapon scrolls, and use them to enchant a big pile of powerful bullets (steel are the most powerful). By enchanting the bullets, you make it more powerful and durable. A pile of heavily enchanted steel bullets can last, like, forever, and destroy even the toughest monsters. I once took down Antaeus, the boss with the largest HP, with steel bullets and Punk (the most powerful artefact sling) :)

Enchanting launchers is usually not worth it, since you can get nice artefact launchers (you can't enchant or modify artefact stuff).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 10:05

Hey, needles aren't useless in late game given some Throwing skill. Paralysis, sleeping etc. all work on non-poison-resistant monsters (since the newest version, they have to have some form of metabolism though - so they will work on demons but not orbs of fire) and will help immensley oneshotting anyone who woke up.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 00:12

Lots of helpful tips and tricks guys, awesome =) I was a little sad at losing my last SpAs so I've played a couple Chaos Knights.... Xom's good for some laughs hah. I wouldnt want him on a character I'm serious about though - talk about a moody god.

I think I will lean a bit more to the Slings end then and see how that goes. While I dont have to worry too much about running FROM monsters as a spriggan to let the poison kill them, on deeper floors I find it getting a little more difficult to avoid running into even more monsters while doing so. This go-around I was messing around and focusing more on throwing to test something (didnt work out so well haha), ran into a hungry ghost early on.... then got pinned between it and a phantom in a hallway... YASD.

So yeah, Short Blades off at around 8 would help free up some skills too so that's helpful to know! :) If I want to play a Spriggan "assassin", but go with Trog, should I pick Berserker first, and then go with "assassin" skills? Or should I just wait til I find an alter so that I start with the blowgun and curare needles?

And man, I keep finding awesome platemail and stuff that I cant wear on my Spriggans, yet whenever I try to roll a heavy armor combo, all I find are robes and leather stuff heh :'(

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 01:09

And man, I keep finding awesome platemail and stuff that I cant wear on my Spriggans, yet whenever I try to roll a heavy armor combo, all I find are robes and leather stuff heh :'(

And when you're not playing a Naga, you'll find Naga Bardings everywhere! :D :D :D

It's just Crawl being his usual self :D :D

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 12:31

Isius wrote: If I want to play a Spriggan "assassin", but go with Trog, should I pick Berserker first, and then go with "assassin" skills? Or should I just wait til I find an alter so that I start with the blowgun and curare needles?

I prefer the assassin route - as the starting stats/skills seem better (from memory you get better stealth/stabbing skills). I generally start, then dive to D4 or D5 and start looking for Temple. Anything gets in my way ... I run away! Of course ... if you get surrounded or stuck between 2 hard mobs in a corridor then you've no real emergency action (like berserk) ... so there can be a few false starts. Then of course there's the RNG ... that will no doubt "decide" that when you do finally make it to the Temple that Trog isn't there ... in which case you have to go back to level 1 and explore all the way down!

It's all about being flexible though ... if you happen to find Okawaru on D1 you might just go with him anyway, or if you get a decent randart on D1 or D2 you might want to change that "get to Temple fast" plan and take your time (and accept that you'll be "wasting" piety by killing and not being able to sacrifice).
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 12:38

Trog builds piety so fast though that I stopped bothering diving for him unless I'm something retardo that can kill just about anything early like an unarmed Troll. Spriggan would build piety even faster since they don't have to worry about carving some of those corpses up for food.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 16:15

129892 Shriek the Imperceptible (level 16, -8/85 HPs)
Began as a Spriggan Assassin on Sept 6, 2011.
Was the Champion of Trog.
Killed by scroll of immolation (19 damage)
... on Level 3 of the Snake Pit.
The game lasted 03:27:04 (46881 turns).

T____T I forgot immo would hurt me too... A sliver of health left, poisoned, with naga and anaconda on my tail with no healing, tele, or blink stuff left.... was a really fun run though. I thought i was dead for sure no matter what I did, but as I was writing this, I realized before I got in that situation I probably could have used brother in arms and berserked... Oh well, all part of the learning process I 'spose. :P

Skills:
+ Level 12 Fighting (did seem to help a bit, especially vs those large packs of ogres)
- Level 11 Short Blades (forgot to turn it off at 8).
- Level 1 Long Blades
- Level 11 Slings
- Level 3 Throwing
+ Level 20 Dodging
+ Level 25 Stealth
+ Level 19 Stabbing
- Level 3 Traps & Doors
- Level 2 Spellcasting
- Level 1 Evocations

Equips I was using:
+4,+4 sling of flame {god gift}
+9,+6 quick blade (weapon)
the ring "Maod" (right hand) {Str+1 Int+2 Acc+3 Dam+5 Stlth++}
(You found it in a Labyrinth)
[ring of slaying]
It affects your accuracy (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+5).
It affects your strength (+1).
It affects your intelligence (+2).
It makes you much more stealthy.

the ring of Dishonour (left hand) {unknown, +Inv Str+2 Dex+3}
[ring of invisibility]
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your dexterity (+3).

Branches:
Dungeon (21/27) Temple (1/1) D:7 Orc (4/4) D:9
Elf (0/5) Orc:4 Lair (7/8) D:8 Swamp (1/5) Lair:5
Slime (0/6) Lair:6 Snake (3/5) Lair:4 Hive (0/2) D:16
Vault (0/8) D:16

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 16:42

the ring "Maod" (right hand) {Str+1 Int+2 Acc+3 Dam+5 Stlth++}
[ring of slaying]
It affects your accuracy (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+5).
It affects your strength (+1).
It affects your intelligence (+2).
It makes you much more stealthy.

Badass slaying, too bad you died! :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 16:56

Probably could have cleared out Hive without much issue for more exp and the chance at Rp to better handle Snake. Any reason why you didn't finish Lair or go past Swamp 1?

3 levels you could have probably cleared and increased your chance at rP, plus Swamp. Granted, Swamp has some nasty pois monsters as well, but unlike Snake not every monster will poison you there.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 17:12

bobross419 wrote:Probably could have cleared out Hive without much issue for more exp and the chance at Rp to better handle Snake. Any reason why you didn't finish Lair or go past Swamp 1?

3 levels you could have probably cleared and increased your chance at rP, plus Swamp. Granted, Swamp has some nasty pois monsters as well, but unlike Snake not every monster will poison you there.

When I first went to Lair I was not nearly as well geared or leveled and was too scared to try going down again, and then got side tracked when I got better geared and leveled... I'm still making a lot of silly mistakes, like not using the god abilities nearly as often as I should have, and die a good bit because of it heh :'(

I was almost certain I was finally going to beat the dungeon... But Crawl is very quick to put you in your place if you get cocky lol.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 18:25

I have been messing around with a Spriggan Skald going the assassin route. It's a bit of a crapshoot at the beginning trying to find a sling, but the weapon auras are useful for undead and kiting in general. It takes a bit more to get started since you don't start with stealth but you can power train that easily enough. I haven't made it super far yet, but its a pretty fun character to mess around with.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice