Spellbook prices (polling an example)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Would you buy Incunabulum of the Voyage (Shroud of G, Summon Forest, Malign Gateway) for 4557 gold?

Poll ended at Saturday, 25th November 2017, 17:31

Worth it!
10%
Only if I had a ton of gold with no other plans (includes "just because Gozag")
10%
Probably not
20%
Are you kidding?!
60%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 10

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 17:31

Spellbook prices (polling an example)

Mostly I was curious to hear whatever people thought of this case. But it might be a fun topic generally?

Saw this book at a shop on D:9.

I'm currently on an earth elementalist so I don't exactly see it, but I am doing Gozag so I dunno if I should totally rule it out at first blush either... Still, I can't remember ever spending this much on a single spellbook. 2 or 3k would be an unusually huge book investment for me. Usually by the time I have that much free gold, there's a good chance I've picked up either something else equally compelling (or several something elses at various shops), or found the spell in a book lying around the dungeon anyway.

... And I'm also cracking up that the spellcheck has actually been made aware of "Incunabulum."
Spoiler: show
So it is an established word, but it's not one I can remember hearing outside of Crawl (or possibly an occasional religion/witchcraft reference?). Apparently, people also used to think the earliest printed books had something in common with cradles, as in "cradle of civilization" I suppose?
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 18:01

Re: Spellbook prices (polling an example)

The plot thickens!

If you don't mind, tack on a reply to say whether it would affect your answer NOW that this book proves to be the ticket to the Treasure Trove (found on D:11).

:evil:

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 18:22

Voted "Probably not" because you're with Gozag. If you weren't with Gozag I would have voted "Only if I had a ton of gold with no other plans". The book is worth buying on a non-Gozag character if you have enough gold and have nothing else to spend the gold on. You're weighing 4557 gold for three spells and a trove against whatever else you can buy with 4557 gold, and sometimes you won't have anything useful to buy. With Gozag, you're weighing the spells and a trove against 4557 gold that you can spend on potion petitions, shops, and bribe branch. It is highly unlikely that your best use of 4557 gold is buying this book, though if you're overly stingy with Gozag abilities you might do it later on for fun.

Imo the trove entrance fee does not significantly change the evaluation unless you didn't intend to cast any of those spells in the first place or had them available elsewhere.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
duvessa, stoneychips

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 18:39

Hellmonk wrote:Voted "Probably not" because you're with Gozag. If you weren't with Gozag I would have voted "Only if I had a ton of gold with no other plans". The book is worth buying on a non-Gozag character if you have enough gold and have nothing else to spend the gold on. You're weighing 4557 gold for three spells and a trove against whatever else you can buy with 4557 gold, and sometimes you won't have anything useful to buy. With Gozag, you're weighing the spells and a trove against 4557 gold that you can spend on potion petitions, shops, and bribe branch. It is highly unlikely that your best use of 4557 gold is buying this book, though if you're overly stingy with Gozag abilities you might do it later on for fun.

Imo the trove entrance fee does not significantly change the evaluation unless you didn't intend to cast any of those spells in the first place or had them available elsewhere.

Thanks. Yeah, I mentioned Gozag in the poll because I could just see it generating a ton of unspent gold later in a particularly smooth game... But it's as easily argued that some of the more expensive deity abilities are as likely to burn through gold for most of the foreseeable game, too.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 18:48

When I play Gozag, I sometimes bribe Zot twice just to be safe. And the right combination of Potion Petition might just cost you another 8-9 hundred... I have gone into Zot 3 or 4 with about 14K and come out with 1.5K.

For this message the author HANFGEIST has received thanks:
stoneychips

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 18:59

Incunabulum is a word you find very often, when libraries explain the contents of their collections. "Hundreds of manuscripts and incunabula..." In this case, the books were seen as the cradle of typography.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
stoneychips

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 20:56

Could you have found this book on one of those shops that sometimes show up in gozag altar vaults, where every item is extremely expensive by design?
make food great again

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 21:06

pedritolo wrote:Could you have found this book on one of those shops that sometimes show up in gozag altar vaults, where every item is extremely expensive by design?

Not this one. It was just sitting in the open on the dungeon floor. It also has several more moderately priced books, from around 600-1,500 gold.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice