Ru piety gain question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 02:07

Ru piety gain question

Hey there, looking at ways to build the new Gnoll species, I found sacrificing artifice to ru, was pretty good. (given gnoll's ability to cast any found utility spells).

I was wondering if theres a calc for piety gain based on the level of the skill? It mentions it on the wiki, but no specifics...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 20:22

Re: Ru piety gain question

If you're a gnoll, you don't get any bonus piety from your trained skills, otherwise you get 1 piety for every 500 skill points invested. You can check the costs of skill levels here (remember to scale the amount based on aptitude.)

In general the amount of piety gained from sacrificing skill is low enough that it won't have a meaningful impact on your piety compared to taking actual sacrifices, unless you decide to cripple yourself by sacrificing a level 14+ skill. To compare, the following sacrifices are worth roughly 5 piety (they're worth a bit more than 2500 skill exp), which itself is lower than the lowest piety sacrifice (according to my code dive this is sacrificing your lowest stat for 8 piety):

7 skill at -4 apt
8 skill at -2 apt
10 skill at 0 apt
12 skill at +2 apt
13 skill at +4 apt

Note that sacrificing a level 27 skill at -5 apt is barely enough to max out your piety in a single sacrifice (you get 141 piety from the skill and some extra from the actual sacrifice), and sacrificing a level 27 skill at 0 apt is worth 59 piety, which is a bonus of 1 or 2 *s depending on your exact piety level.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 22:38

Thanks for the knowledge!
I found sacrificing artifice to give a pretty decent base piety jump,
I'm not sure sacrificing skill was worth it though. Oh well, crawl, die, learn.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 23:25

Saccing artifice gives a lot of piety because evocables are very useful. I have sacced it several times but usually I hadn't trained it, I just got the base value. It sounds like with gnolls you only get the base value anyways. I still recommend it as a sacrifice, as I think it's better to use a few high piety sacrifices rather than cobbling together a lot of less valuable ones, but it will of course depend on the character and your plan.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice