A Conduct Panel?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 08:54

A Conduct Panel?

Wouldn't it be nice to have an actual conduct menu? It would be like a different game mode in the main menu. You choose some conducts, and then select species+bg.
For example:
Don't generate potions
Generate 2 tentacled monstrousity on each floor
Let all monsters be hasted
Increase PC loudness by number

Would there be room for this in online gaming?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 3
NhorianScum, Vajrapani, yesno

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 16:54

Re: A Conduct Panel?

I thought you meant automatic conduct tracking like Nethack.

[*] Never used an upstair
[*] Never ate
[*] Never killed anything
[*] Never used melee
[*] Never cast any spells
[*] Never used any scrolls

etc.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 22:24

I was thinking of something different. If I understand correctly, the tracker only informs you of the conducts you respected. I'd prefer something that allows you to directly change some aspects of the game you are about to play.

add Hell effects to Shoals
Set max AC for player to ...
Add rage as emergency spell to all Draconians
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 22:39

I doubt there's much dev interest in coding and maintaining a large number of different conducts, but it sounds like a good project for a fork. Explicit conducts/difficulty modes are good imo.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st October 2017, 00:16

I had "god conduct" in mind when I saw the topic title, I'm not sure it'd be useful or relevant, but conducts that gods approve/disapprove have hooks, and one could add up all the times you did things that they liked and didn't like and display it. I'm not sure what good it would do (Other than let you check to see how often you do things which things might be good or bad for particular gods when you aren't worshipping them)

The OP sounds annoying and I second the notion that nobody would be super-interested in creating such a tracker.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st October 2017, 00:53

Why annoying? If someone wants a challenge, he can start a conduct game, if he doesn't, he can play the normal mode. It should not be more annoying than having sprints in the main menu.
If someone wants a kind of challenge that is not possible in the main game, like a version in which all monsters have reaching, I think it would be nice if he could.
A secondary, imho beneficial effect would be to allow changes in game balance without subjecting them to species + background selection. Personally, I think that sp and bg should influence playing style, instead of difficulty, and that an easy species or god should be tactically easy to learn, instead of overpowered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st October 2017, 00:57

Shtopit wrote:Why annoying? If someone wants a challenge, he can start a conduct game, if he doesn't, he can play the normal mode. It should not be more annoying than having sprints in the main menu.
If someone wants a kind of challenge that is not possible in the main game, like a version in which all monsters have reaching, I think it would be nice if he could.
A secondary, imho beneficial effect would be to allow changes in game balance without subjecting them to species + background selection. Personally, I think that sp and bg should influence playing style, instead of difficulty, and that an easy species or god should be tactically easy to learn, instead of overpowered.

Annoying to create, code and maintain, not to use.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, Shtopit

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice