Static Discharge

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 8th October 2017, 21:51

Static Discharge

I almost never use this spell, because it seems to be best with bad positioning, and the chance to hurt myself scares me. When is it good?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th October 2017, 22:59

Re: Static Discharge

Shtopit wrote:I almost never use this spell, because it seems to be best with bad positioning, and the chance to hurt myself scares me. When is it good?

It is best when you are adjacent to exactly two ememies, and only slightly worse with 3.

It ignores ev and half of ac, so it is good against things that are hard to hit (killer bees for example)

It scales more with spellpower than most attack spells, so it kind of sucks damage wise at lower spellpower (when you first get it castable) but it scales up reasonably quickly.

It has less of a role now that airstrike has been added, as that also ignores ev

The self damage is insignificant.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 02:12

Siegurt wrote:It is best when you are adjacent to exactly two ememies, and only slightly worse with 3.
Note that the enemies need to be adjacent both to you and to each other to get a real benefit from this.
Siegurt wrote:It has less of a role now that airstrike has been added, as that also ignores ev
Airstrike doesn't ignore AC though. (And does a lot less damage)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 03:36

duvessa wrote:
Siegurt wrote:It is best when you are adjacent to exactly two ememies, and only slightly worse with 3.
Note that the enemies need to be adjacent both to you and to each other to get a real benefit from this.
That's correct, I should've been more specific
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 09:58

It's good when playing a gargoyle air elementalist. The reason is due to the innate rElec and extra AC, which make it more reasonable to put yourself in situations where you'd try the tactics where it is more effective. If you get to a point where you've found rElec on other races, you've probably already advanced to a higher level and then there are more important things to focus on than static discharge. I find this spell overall annoying and barely worth memorizing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 16:12

svendre wrote:It's good when playing a gargoyle air elementalist. The reason is due to the innate rElec and extra AC, which make it more reasonable to put yourself in situations where you'd try the tactics where it is more effective. If you get to a point where you've found rElec on other races, you've probably already advanced to a higher level and then there are more important things to focus on than static discharge. I find this spell overall annoying and barely worth memorizing.

You dont need relec to use this spell. The self damage is completely inconsequential, its akin to the self damage inflicted by using makhleb's minor destruction.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 19:33

Siegurt wrote:
svendre wrote:It's good when playing a gargoyle air elementalist. The reason is due to the innate rElec and extra AC, which make it more reasonable to put yourself in situations where you'd try the tactics where it is more effective. If you get to a point where you've found rElec on other races, you've probably already advanced to a higher level and then there are more important things to focus on than static discharge. I find this spell overall annoying and barely worth memorizing.

You dont need relec to use this spell. The self damage is completely inconsequential, its akin to the self damage inflicted by using makhleb's minor destruction.

Not so much because of the damage it would cause directly, but because using it requires allowing things to get close to you - and shock is very important to air elementalists (lightning bolt kind of sucks though.) It's much easier to mix shock in if you have resistance to double bounces in many more situations when monsters are allowed or manage to close to melee range. As i said above "make(s) it more reasonable to put yourself in situations where you'd try the tactics where it is more effective." A few points of damage here and there still aren't helpful though either, especially if you're already a squishy caster and the monster is at melee range. A few points could make the difference of your life.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th October 2017, 14:15

I like to learn it just in case to kill invisible creatures. It's probably a mistake to ever let an invisible orc wizard to get into melee range with you but whatever.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice