0.9 Endgame questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 28th August 2011, 17:29

0.9 Endgame questions

Just started playing again recently

Ive got a MuWi near the endgame. I haven't done crypt/tomb/zot/slime/hells/abyss/pan yet.

Is Vehu or Makhleb better for a mummy wiz in 0.9? Currently im with vehu but thinking of changing to Makhleb. I think Makhleb was nerfed in 0.9 so would it still be worth switching over to him?

Is a staff of channelling necessary for a pure spellcaster (my guy has no melee skill is above 3) to do pan and hells? I am concerned because I haven't found the staff of channelling yet.

which is better for those endgame branches ice storm or firestorm?. I got tornado useable but I think it is pretty weak so I want to get another top spell.

Thank you
Last edited by Baldurino on Monday, 29th August 2011, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 28th August 2011, 17:41

Re: 0.9 Endgame questions

Makhleb, in my opinion. By this point, you've gotten all of Vehumet's books, and your magic skills are probably high enough that you don't need his casting bonuses anymore. Vehumet does give MP for killing, but Makhleb gives both HP and MP, and even with the nerf, it's pretty nice.

The staff of channeling isn't at all necessary for a Tornado-caster with Makhleb. I've cleared the Hells using such a character with only minimal melee contact. You might want to bring some magic potions just to be sure you won't run dry at the worst time. The demon lords can withstand more than one .9 Tornado, and and you'll chew through their bodyguards (and Makhleb's MP regeneration) very quickly. Ice/Fire Storm could work, too, but they're just as MP-intensive...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 28th August 2011, 18:32

Doh! Forgot he was playing a Mummy.

*headdesk*

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 06:15

AHHHHH help me!

So I went back to D27 to do zot and the entrances are not there.

I used magic map and tried digging around. I have three runes and I have used the horn of geryon. The doors are just not there.

Is this a bug? Is there any way to fix this?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 07:34

Baldurino wrote:AHHHHH help me!

So I went back to D27 to do zot and the entrances are not there.

I used magic map and tried digging around. I have three runes and I have used the horn of geryon. The doors are just not there.

Is this a bug? Is there any way to fix this?

most likely a secret door somewhere, quite annoying. magic mapping does not show secret areas anymore.
check some places that are likely by layout, but if all else fails i would savescum and use wizmode.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 07:36

Sounds like a bug; post it on Mantis (with your save file). Zot entrances shouldn't be hidden behind secret doors, definitely not all three of them.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 09:11

Hey so I found the bug on mantis...

KiloByte (manager)
2011-08-23 13:22:

Fixed.

How to repair your save:
* back it up (you already did, uploading it here)
* load the game, enter wizmode, &( enter_zot
* save (the game is marked as wizard though)
* crawl --edit-save YourName get D:27
* restore the save from backup
* crawl --edit-save YourName put D:27

If the above sounds too complicated, say a word and I'll do that for you.

How do you alter the .cs save file? When I open it in notepad++ its just a bunch of nonsense symbols. I tried changing the extension to .txt but that didn't do anything....Anyone know how to fix this bug?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 09:18

It doesn't say you have to alter the cs file.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 10:23

mumra wrote:Sounds like a bug; post it on Mantis (with your save file). Zot entrances shouldn't be hidden behind secret doors, definitely not all three of them.

On my recent 0.9 game, there was only 1 Zot entrance on D:27. It was in a well guarded, but non-hidden vault.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 10:46

mumra wrote:It doesn't say you have to alter the cs file.

The save file has a .cs extension. For example my characters save is "Kangaxx.cs"

This is how i interpreted the bug fix:
Back up save. Go in wiz mode and go to zot. Save game.

Edit Kangaxx.cs and get "D27"

restore the backup save

put "D:27" into the backup.

Am I missing something?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 11:17

Yes; you're misinterpreting the instructions.

"crawl --edit-save YourName get D:27" is a command line - it's not telling you to manually edit the save.

So go to command prompt, go to your crawl directory, and type in those commands.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 17:19

Thanks mumra

I put an entrance to zot on D27 but whether i am using wizard mode or not using wizard mode the game will crash when I try to enter zot.

If you get this bug in your game you are screwed. The fix recommended on mantis doesn't work.

I don't know how rare this bug is. If you have a promising character it might be worth making a backup and then checking to make sure D27 has entrances to zot.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 17:58

You should put both your saves (the one you backed up prior to wizmode, and the one after you added the zot entrance) onto that Mantis bug so a dev can look into it (and they can probably fix your save for you).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice