Air Elementalists: A bizap pattern not commonly mentioned

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 25th September 2017, 10:44

Air Elementalists: A bizap pattern not commonly mentioned

(Note: For all aspiring air elementalists, there's are some of the most basic patterns mentioned, for instance, here, by Siegurt.)

For what it's worth, I started to pay more attention to my early game AEs again, trying to review my movement habits. I discovered a pattern that I haven't really used much before; but once I started to look out for it, it comes up so often that I regard it as one of the basic patterns. I havn't seen it mentioned before, so I'm posting it here, in case I'm not the only one who missed it (as a basic pattern to look out for, that is).

The basis is this (aiming at the single wall tile):

Code:
   @
   #

Since Shock has a reach of 7, all the *s are double zapped without afflicting the player. One way in which this comes up quite often is in corners and T-sections of tunnels:

Code:
   # #           #######
   # ####           *   
   #***@         ###*###
   ######          #*#
                   #@#
                   # #

As with all bizap patterns, this becomes intuitive with practise. This one allows to get up to three bizaps in before the monster has a chance to hit, without any hassle and without much moving around:

Code:
1. # #      2. # #     3. # #
   #M#         # #        # #
   # #         # #        # #
   # #         # #        # #           
   #@####      XM####     # ####         
   #           #   @      X M @
   ######      ######     ######

(Aiming at the X.) Also, occasionally it comes up while chancing on a pack after opening a door. In this case it may do up to 6d9 damage per MP.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

For this message the author Utis has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th September 2017, 11:34

Re: Air Elementalists: A bizap pattern not commonly mentione

I have found that occasionally when aiming broadside at a wall, it will bounce like I'm aiming at a corner. I don't recall exactly, I think it's something like this:

Code:
####
...#
##.#
##M#
##@#

In which I expect that aiming upward will broadside off the horizontal surface and come back down for a bizap, but instead it goes off diagonal to the left. If I were diagonal to the corner, sure, but I'm aiming at the side of the last wall segment before the corner perpendicularly and I expect it to come back at me.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 25th September 2017, 11:54

No, that one comes straight back, bizapping the monster in front of you. You probably mean something like this:
  Code:
  ....##
  .....#
  .....#       
  ....@#       
  .....#       

(Aiming straight up.) That's because the wall tile straight up doesn't count as part of a horizontal wall. You get something similar for instance with diagonal walls. It's a bit weird, but one gets used to it.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th September 2017, 12:45

I think you're right. It also happens in corridors that have a dog-leg in them.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th September 2017, 21:19

There's also the ####.#### If you're above or below it at the proper angle, and aim for the wall where the gap is located; it will bounce back and forth between the two walls where the . is indicated. This also seem to apply to any interstection or turn in a path.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th September 2017, 10:33

IIRC miltizap is capped at two zaps now.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice