How Do Forms Work in Relation to Other Skills

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 15:47

How Do Forms Work in Relation to Other Skills

For the first time, I am playing a transmuter draconian training one skill at a time. I begun training only transm, then poison, then transm again, then ice, then transm. Now I have all of my spells around or below 5% success (first book) and I am training a bit of invo for banishing my foes.

However, I wonder if and how UC (and, in a lesser way, fighting) influence the attack power of the forms. Is it useful to train UC? What about dodging? Do they impact forms, and how?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 16:05

Re: How Do Forms Work in Relation to Other Skills

Shtopit wrote:Is it useful to train UC?

Yes. Training UC will reduce attack delay (and maybe increase damage/accuracy).

Shtopit wrote:What about dodging?

Also yes.
More dodging = more EV, form or not, and more EV is always good.

Training armour is useless, unless you use a form that doesn't meld your armour (e.g. Blade Hands only melds gloves)

Training Fighting gives more Health.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks: 2
nago, Shtopit

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 16:21

For a tm your skill level order should always be:

UC > fighting > dodging > armor (if using armor and not a melding armor form) > transmutation > other magic skills.

Training UC does decrease delay attack and base damage, both in forms and with plain punch

Except maybe up xl3 when getting spider form castable is much much better than raising UC
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
Shtopit, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 01:32

nago wrote:For a tm your skill level order should always be:

UC > fighting > dodging > armor (if using armor and not a melding armor form) > transmutation > other magic skills.

Training UC does decrease delay attack and base damage, both in forms and with plain punch

Except maybe up xl3 when getting spider form castable is much much better than raising UC

Well, it worked: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24261 :mrgreen:
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 14:28

What is the relative value between Stick To Snakes and Spider Form for early-character survival?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 14:48

Sticks to Snakes is a summoning spell. Summons are extremely powerful in crawl. The spell is good for attack, defence, escape, managing LoS, etc. Even though spider form is quite good, in my view s2s is the strongest spell in the book of changes. With more power you get more adders!

Spider form on the other hand doesn't much depend on power and having a reasonably low fail rate is usually fine. Since you start with a bit of transmutation, and you can train some more for s2s, it's often not necessary to train much more for spider form.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
MainiacJoe, nago

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice