Is Strength just better than Dexterity? (Spoiler: yes.)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th September 2017, 14:03

Re: Is Strength just better than Dexterity? (Spoiler: yes.)

Shtopit wrote:In general, however, I don't think I've ever played a game in which I hadn't found at least one ring of fire and one ring of rF+ before reaching Zot.

Well, I have.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
nago

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 00:34

The trouble is that AC does not reduce max damage any more than EV does. I can see how a small chance of just not taking a high damage roll could be better than reducing it by 0-5 points.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 01:40

WingedEspeon wrote:The trouble is that AC does not reduce max damage any more than EV does. I can see how a small chance of just not taking a high damage roll could be better than reducing it by 0-5 points.

There is a small effect, because the damage reduction from GDR is capped by your AC/2; if you have heavy enough body armour and are facing hits with enough max damage that your GDR hits the cap, extra AC does reduce the maximum damage. For example, if you have a GDR of 34 (chain mail) and a total AC of 8, a hit from an ettin with a dire flail (45 + 13 = 58 max damage) will do at most 58 - 4 = 54 damage per hit. If you increased your AC to 24 while still in chain mail (by training Armour and/or by wearing aux items), you would be taking at most 58 - 12 = 46 damage per hit.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 02:10

I should have been more clear, I was talking about the OOF/bolt of fire case. I was unaware that it was AC/2, I though it was just AC though. That does make having more AC a little better than I thought VS melee attacks when you have GDR.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 09:20

To add to the EV vs rF vs AC discussion, apparently there is a third way, having a crapton of HP and ridiculous attack power with medium AC and EV. This would be using dragonform with a non-red draconian. You'll still likely have very high dodging, though. Then you can kill fire orbs without rF+.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 16:48

Offence as defence does not work reliably, you still can miss or deal no damage many times in a row
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 17:03

HP does work pretty well as one of the components of your defense, though.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 19:05

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Offence as defence does not work reliably, you still can miss or deal no damage many times in a row

6/6 until now is good enough for my personal use, though. Of course, rF remains better because you stop being completely subject to wild rolls.

Is there a way to count people online killed by oof while in dragon form?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice