Choosing what to give orcs

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 8th September 2017, 07:32

Choosing what to give orcs

Eyy haven't played this game in like a year, had to leave FL and my PC behind because of the hurricane. So I loaded up my laptop and guess what I found ^-^. Anyways I haven't had much luck until I made a Hill Orc who follows Beogh, who is currently traversing the lair with his Orc Warlord buddo. My question is what should I focus on giving him? I'd guess a good melee weapon but I don't have any (Currently using a waraxe with no ring of slaying or anything) BUT I do have a triple crossbow. How do you guys think that would fare with him?

EDIT: OOH I also have a rod of lightning but I don't know how that would work with a follower.

EDIT 2: YASD got fucked by 3 smiting high orc priests who didn't believe I was their savior
Last edited by Rokirem on Friday, 8th September 2017, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th September 2017, 07:36

Re: Choosing what to give orcs

Polearms are best for melee.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th September 2017, 13:35

It never occurred to me to give an orc a ranged weapon. Does that work? Do they pick up themselves a melee weapon for close combat?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 8th September 2017, 19:12

MainiacJoe wrote:It never occurred to me to give an orc a ranged weapon. Does that work? Do they pick up themselves a melee weapon for close combat?

Yeah my orc knight was using a hand-axe and a hand-crossbow with what seemed like infinite ammo. That's what gave me the idea.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 8th September 2017, 20:56

I remember reading that due to monster combat mechanics, it's better to give spears than bardiches to your warlords — weapon delay is more important than base damage. I'm not sure about whether this would be true with ranged weapons as well.

My experience a few years ago was that warlords with ranged weapons are real strong. Polearms are good too for obvious reasons.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 9th September 2017, 03:07

Here's a HoMo of Beogh I won recently.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/prosp ... 181332.txt

I mostly gave my orcs arbalests, though I also gave them polearms occasionally, and plate. (Though Beogh will upgrade them to plate eventually.) Ranged weapons are really good on orcs. I had a big army by midgame, but they mostly died in the Depths. The last 4 orc warlords died on V:5. I sill love Beogh though, because of how much I like the idea of being the orc mesiah.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice