+9 double sword (Elec) or Maxwell's thermic engine?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 18:47

+9 double sword (Elec) or Maxwell's thermic engine?

Playing a DsIE who is worshipping Ash. Been using an elec double sword tha ti enchanted up but just came across Maxwell's thermic engine. Is this going to definitely outperform the elec on in most scenarios?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 19:10

Re: +9 double sword (Elec) or Maxwell's thermic engine?

Damage output is easily high enough either way that it doesnt really matter. Maxwells has the coolness factor and probably an edge in long fights.

However elec+9 keeps your resisances intact, so I'd go with that one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 19:58

The elec +9 sword is going to outdamage Maxwell's in realistic situations where the enemy doesn't have rElec. Against enemies that do have rElec, thermic engine will edge it out if you can afford a few turns to spin it up. So either swap them or just use the elec double sword exclusively.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 20:14

Using ash, so I'd prefer not to swap and just bind one of them. I have decent resists. Without Maxwell's rF+++, rC++, rN+, and rPois. Been playing with maxwells and I don't notice much difference in most situations so far. Would Maxwells likely be better in Zot against Draconians and OoF? Thinking the actual damage output would be similar enough but the freeze effect for Draconians would be nice. I'm only planning a 3 rune game to shake the dust off as Ive been gone a while. Sadly I got monstrous mutations, but I decided to play it anyways.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 20:26

If you have good enough resists, why not use Maxwell's for a memorable game? Afterall, how often will you get to use it?

Actually scrap that, how often do you get tp use a +9 Elect double sword?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 21:01

Good point. Decided to ditch rF leather plus ozo's for rF plate, AC was too damn swingy when I faced something with fire which in depths zot, I'm anticipating it to just get worse. Once I get another scroll of remove curse, ill switch back to the elec one I suppose.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 21:59

ajon wrote:Would Maxwells likely be better in Zot against Draconians and OoF?
Gonna take a wild guess here and say that the weapon with rF- would not be better against orbs of fire.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 22:11

haha yeah, I was just grasping for some reason to use it, Anwyays, won the game barely. teleportitis in Z%, and only had 2 heal potions, ended up blowing through 10 cure and a bunch of ambrosia, while cowering in a corner hoping nothing would walk over to me. Pretty glad I had the rF+++

Thanks for the advice on this.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 22:57

Note that against draconians Maxwells would have been good, because freezing slows them.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice