Makh's Minor Destruction

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 14:32

Makh's Minor Destruction

[Split form that Troll Luck thread}

I have an xl:20 GhFi^Makh that has been using Minor Destruction as its ranged attack and UC for melee. I just found a +10 plate mail with Slay+6, and so I'm trying to decide whether I'd like to switch to a +9 fustibalus of flaming that is completely untrained thus far (I have shields to skill 11 thus far with a large shield and +6 amulet of Refl). I tried to follow the code diving in that troll thread and didn't get very far. What can I expect wit Invocations 20 for my Minor Destruction, to compare to fsim's fustibalus report?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 14:46

Re: Makh's Minor Destruction

A trained ranged weapon with slaying will be better than minor destruction. Minor destruction isn't going to get better at this point.

The key facet of minor destruction is it gives you the midgame and lets you stabilize your character while getting summons to boot. Presumably now at this point if you are looking for a new ranged attack option your character is plenty strong enough to get it going with some vaults/depths xp. Alternatively, at this point sometimes a character decides they only really need minor destruction as a pulling tool, melee everything is fine, and you can fall asleep on o tab because makh.

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks: 2
MainiacJoe, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 15:17

Yes I an in Vaults:2 at the moment and rode Minor Destruction through the two S-branches after seeing your dumps of how many times your characters used it. The character dump is at home but am leaning towards building up my defensive skills more before training the fustibalus, if I ever do. Mainly I'm curious right now at how 20 INvo MD compared to untrained fustibalus with +14 slaying.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 15:32

I don't know of a clever data-driven way to compare the two. Most of the math in the other thread was comparing the different component spells to eachother.

Stone arrow be shooting for 3d7 to 3d11 with an average of 3d10ish (some clustering at the spellpower 50 cap).

Any ranged good weapon with +14 slaying will shred into the endgame. Minor destruction will only get meaningful damage 40% of the time.
Last edited by edgefigaro on Thursday, 24th August 2017, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 15:36

edgefigaro wrote:I don't know of a clever data-driven way to compare the two. Most of the math in the other thread was comparing the different component spells to eachother.

Any ranged good weapon with +14 slaying will shred into the endgame. Minor destruction will only get meaningful damage 40% of the time.

Yes this is pretty much what I've decided, too.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice