Perils of using auto-explore early?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th August 2017, 16:57

Perils of using auto-explore early?

Here and there, I've seen mentions of the perils of using auto-explore in the early dungeon. I've yet to grasp exactly what kinds of bad situations auto-explore would put you in, that could conversely be avoided by utilizing specific techniques when manually exploring.

For example ... does auto-explore tend to make your character travel adjacent to tight corners (aka blind spots), even when a wider travel approach further from that corner would be possible via manually exploring? Are there different/additional reasons that seasoned players tend to manually explore when their character is very "young" (weak) with limited/no bail-out options? Thanks in advance for tips.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 13th August 2017, 17:05

Re: Perils of using auto-explore early?

Auto explore, for practical purposes, just explores blindly to an unexplored square (it's more complicated than that, but that's basically correct). The reason it can be bad is that you might take a narrow trail into the dark, and if you create some noise, your retreat might be cut off.

In practice, I use auto-explore all through the game. I use exclusions to not go into certain areas, and might manually explore if I am low on health or otherwise in danger. The risks are not that great, and I'm lazy.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
dolemite99

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th August 2017, 17:31

Part of what makes a good tactical position good is the availability of retreat options from that point. Autoexplore is (as bel said) prone to lead you deep into unexplored space with a narrow path back to safety bordered on both sides by more unexplored space. Once you run into enemies and make noise, you are surrounded. When you notice autoexplore is following a tangent to nowhere XGing back to cleared area before you start autoexploring again tends to net you a more well-rounded bubble of safe space.

Other things autoexplore does poorly:
opens doors
doesn't recognize vaults (stone walls!) and blunders heedlessly in
walks across shallow water
walks into webs (I might be wrong about this)
wanders into areas where a known awake dangerous enemy may be lurking (i.e. erolcha, rupert, player ghost)

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 3
dolemite99, duvessa, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 13th August 2017, 21:10

When I encounter a napping dangerous enemy, even with placing an exclusion around the danger area, auto-exploring may get you into trouble. If there is even the most narrow path alongside that exclusion, auto-explore will try to get you past it, and then you may encounter other monsters close by who then shout and wake up the guy that you meant to avoid.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
dolemite99

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th August 2017, 20:15

Thank you all for these tips!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th August 2017, 08:03

Majang wrote:When I encounter a napping dangerous enemy, even with placing an exclusion around the danger area, auto-exploring may get you into trouble. If there is even the most narrow path alongside that exclusion, auto-explore will try to get you past it, and then you may encounter other monsters close by who then shout and wake up the guy that you meant to avoid.

A partial solution to this problem is to place a wider net of exclusions. If someone wants to auto-explore, and not wake up certain enemies, a single exclusion is almost never enough.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
Majang

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice