Let's talk felids

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 06:59

Let's talk felids

I love the little f******, even though they're terribly unbalanced. They couple so well with so many gods!

*Nemelex is a breeze because felids can't use most items, giving you plenty of room to pick and choosFee what to sacrifice to get the decks you want.
*Ashenzari is AMAZING with felids. Rather than nerfing him because you lack all the slots (ala Chei), each slot counts as a full binding. So all you need is two not horrible rings, an amulet that isn't inaccuracy, and you're good to go! If you luck out and find an early altar, you can be reaping all of Ash's benefits before you even hit the temple due to the increased piety gain (which I think is a broken feature of Ash, but it's a blast for the time being!).
*You'll get max piety way faster with Elyvilon, since weapons are useless to you.
*I haven't tried Fedhas yet but it seems to me like it'd be a lot of fun given that you'll have a lot of otherwise useless fruit lying around and hella bonuses to enchantment. Why bother fighting stuff when you can just drown them all to death?
*Jiyva could be fun too, for the same reason as Nemelex; the vast majority of loot in the game is useless to you, so it's fair game to sacrifice. Plus your movement speed means you can stop jellies from eating the loot you can use faster.

Plus you gotta love a race that finally makes Okawaru the LEAST favorable option.

So far I've had the best luck with spellcasting backgrounds that give a smattering of melee skills, namely crusaders and warpers. A few levels of fighting/unarmed gives you some survivability for the first few levels before your spellcasting gets decent enough to survive on your own. Felid berzerkers are pretty nasty too :D. Ultimately though, I would stick to a spellcaster or at least hybrid build. With their carnivore 3 and gourmand mutations, felids never EVER have to worry about spell hunger (I don't think I've eaten a single piece of permafood yet with my current L19 FeWr of Ash), plus they're at least decent at everything except boom magic. The only real drawback is resistances late game. Not having slots to get Rn+++ as well as Rf and Rc makes the Hells are real drag. Luckily they're good at enchantment and transmutation, so you just got to wait until Necromutation.

And they're cats! How fun is that?! My last win was with a FeCr named Meow Luc Purrcard.

PS I know felids are way unbalanced at the moment. All of their apts plus their metabolism would make them amazing as is, nevermind the whole extra lives things. However, I really don't see why they can't use cloaks. I mean, if the same cloak could fit on a spriggan and an ogre, why not a cat?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 08:05

Re: Let's talk felids

jaldor wrote: However, I really don't see why they can't use cloaks. I mean, if the same cloak could fit on a spriggan and an ogre, why not a cat?

let's see how well YOU latch a heavy cloak's clasp with no thumbs.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 14:31

marikvulpina wrote:
jaldor wrote: However, I really don't see why they can't use cloaks. I mean, if the same cloak could fit on a spriggan and an ogre, why not a cat?

let's see how well YOU latch a heavy cloak's clasp with no thumbs.

I understand the cloak thing but why cant they wear hats?

Isn't half the point with cats to put funny hats on them? I mean what else are they good for?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 14:49

The whole *point* of them is their armourless weaponless wandless game.

Plus, okawaru with a felid. First gift -> +1 wizard hat of intelligence. Second, +2 wizard hat of intelligence. Third, +5 hat of rPois rF++ rC+ rElec

basically, because you'd keep getting so many hats it'd probably be broken.
Go kiku!

Server Admin

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 17:00

LOL @ casmith789! Anyways, +1 on hats for felids :D
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 17:19

as cute as the mental image is, I'm having trouble imagining a cat willing to go to the trouble of knocking around a hat until it gets in a good position for it to wrangle it onto its head with no thumbs. much less keep it on. I think it would end up with a sore neck from having a human-sized hat on a housecat. =)

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 20:05

It would go to the trouble if it was sentient and realized that the hat would prevent it from being set on fire.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 21:55

How could a felid put the hat on his own head without proper thumbs? People like putting clothes on pets, that doesn't mean they can put on clothes themselves...

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 15:13

Gastronok managed to wear a hat, despite being a slug.

For this message the author lucy_ferre has received thanks:
Mike255

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 15:28

lucy_ferre wrote:Gastronok managed to wear a hat, despite being a slug.

it's probably is just stuck to his slug-slime. it's almost certainly the hat of the wizard he ate, dropped there in the tussle.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 16:05

'Meow Luc Purrcard' makes me want Felid monsters in the game just to kill them. That is an abomination.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 20:57

lollipopman91 wrote:Isn't half the point with cats to put funny hats on them?

I sense the emergence of LOLfelids.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 21:30

marikvulpina wrote:as cute as the mental image is, I'm having trouble imagining a cat willing to go to the trouble of knocking around a hat until it gets in a good position for it to wrangle it onto its head with no thumbs. much less keep it on. I think it would end up with a sore neck from having a human-sized hat on a housecat. =)

Counterpoint! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2WuN7rTdE

But you are probobly right. Nomral monster would feel to silly for them to ever wear a bunny shaped hat thats made for a cat. Maybe it could be a rare drop from some sort of felid fortress vault?

(Btw if you haven't noticed already i'm not being a 100% serious ;) )

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 14:41

Sometimes wrote:'Meow Luc Purrcard' makes me want Felid monsters in the game just to kill them. That is an abomination.

But he's the Captain of the USS Enterpaws!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 02:18

Shouldn't felids have talons as well as claws? I mean have the devs ever tried to pick up an angry cat?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 12:46

And teeth.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 17:27

I assume that felids just have the one to reflect the fact that while, yes, they have many pointy ends, they are very small. felid claws != troll claws. So claws I think for felids represent all their pointy little bits.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 17:38

Well there are levels of mutations. Trolls have claws 3, I think, and felids might have claws/fangs/talons 1.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 18:47

Felids have paw claws (equivalent to claws 1), fangs 3; trolls have claws 3.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 18:52

And then there could be a wolverine race. No extra lives, but claws 2 talons 2 fangs 2, and speed 2!

That, I think, would be fun.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 20:18

Oh yeah!
And carnivore 3, and +Rage!

I don't think you'd need to be able to carry any items at all.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 07:34

Pfff. If felids are gonna inspire another animal player race- let's follow the trend. The next race has to be even smaller with even less equipment.

I'd go with a Nimh style rat- hyperintelligent escaped lab rats. They wield darts as polearms and knives as two handed greatswords. They're too small to wear any standard equipment, but they can wear scrolls as a cloak (finally a use for scrolls of paper!), and they get one ring slot- as a hat. Rubbish str growth. Obviously would get awesome stealth and evasion, spellcasting too, good in the schools of air magic and necromancy for thematic reasons- altered lab rats would certainly have an affinity for electricity and fleshy manipulation. Not sure what racial mutations you'd want- probably some level of teeth, carnivore, etc.

:lol:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 08:23

Reepicheep.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 15:35

I can see it now:

You enter the dungeon.
You poke the goblin's foot with your dart!
You scratch the goblin's calf!
You nibble the goblin's heel!
You gnaw on the goblin's ankle!
The goblin is diseased!
The goblin steps on you!
-- more --
You die.

(Later on, the goblin spreads the plague throughout the dungeon, everything dies, and your player ghost retrieves the Orb of Zot)

Even tinier: The character could be A VIRUS! You ride on a host monster, and all you can do is cast major disease on your host and blink to another monster that comes near.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 17:30

I want to play an oklob plant.

I'm practicing in the arena now. Oklob plant v oklob plant.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 22:09

Oklob vs Oklob
FIGHT!
(the oklobs are out of range)
Oklob 1 goes to sleep.
Oklob 2 goes to sleep.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 19th January 2011, 15:44

IndomitableLou wrote:I want to play an oklob plant.

I'm practicing in the arena now. Oklob plant v oklob plant.

At least oklobs have a ranged attack. Try playing as a wandering mushroom. If you had to stop moving whenever a monster got into LOS and hoped that it came close enough for you to attack it...
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
Zicher

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice