Default order for autoquivering thrown ammo?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 15:28

Default order for autoquivering thrown ammo?

Lately I've had frustration trying to get my quiver order right when I have an ammo god and Throwing. I've found that Throwing will put throwables into the quiver in ascending inventory letter order when a given type of ammo runs out (I use autofight_throw = true). It is quite a hassle to adjust things when you pick up other loot while picking up ammo and inventory letters gets out of whack. Throwing is an inventory screw already and this just makes it worse. Is there any way to set a preference queue like steel javelin > javelin of returning > poison javelin > javelin > steel tomahawk > tomahawk > stone. I know I'm missing some brands in there, but you get the idea.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 16:11

Re: Default order for autoquivering thrown ammo?

You can try item_slot:+=javelin^:g item_slot+=javelin of ret:h and so on
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
MainiacJoe, nago

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 16:26

It doesn't deal with egos, but you can at least have it prefer javelins to tomahawks with:

Code:
fire_order = launcher, inscribed, rock, javelin, tomahawk, stone, net

Then if you have ego ammunition that you want to come first, you can inscribe it with "+f". You can automate that with:

Code:
autoinscribe += steel javelin:+f
autoinscribe += javelin of returning:+f

Unfortunately, this trick doesn't let you set an more specific order among those +f items, nor put ego tomahawks after javelins but before other tomahawks.

According to the docs there is a "return" specifier for fire_order to match ammo of returning, but it seems to be ignored.

Edit: The default fire_order is
  Code:
fire_order  = launcher, return, javelin / tomahawk / stone / rock / net, inscribed

Which puts all unlaunched missiles into one class (I have no idea why that's the default), and puts +f items at the end (the idea being that usually +f is for things that wouldn't normally be quivered at all, like books under Trog)

Edit^2: Also, you might prefer "+f+F" as the inscription, so it also affects cycling with the parenthesis keys, and not just auto-quivering.
Last edited by neil on Friday, 28th July 2017, 16:39, edited 3 times in total.

For this message the author neil has received thanks: 3
MainiacJoe, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 16:32

You can also inscribe things with =f to not have them be auto-quivered (this is nice for nets)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 16:51

Siegurt wrote:You can also inscribe things with =f to not have them be auto-quivered (this is nice for nets)

Yes I do this already. Also on my stones with EE starts.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 16:53

Thanks all. Sounds like I'm not the only one who worries about this sort of thing.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 17:57

I also discovered this option:
  Code:
autoinscribe += dispersal:=f

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice