Are not all Ds mutations equally likely?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 25th July 2017, 19:25

Are not all Ds mutations equally likely?

Icemail almost never shows up but it feels like I get Powered by Death every other game. And I've played at least 500 because I'm bad, so I have a decent sample size. Can someone explain to me how the weights work for Ds mutations?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 07:24

Re: Are not all Ds mutations equally likely?

As far as I know it is totally random. 10% of Ds characters give you a monstrous mutation set, but I guess you knew that. Beyond that, all mutations have the same chance of happening.
But of course this is not subjectively true. I guess you want to have the Icemail mutation, and for that reason you never seem to get it. My personal favourite mutation is powered by death. I never seem to see that, either; instead, because you can't stand it, this is what you usually get. There must be some very smart and very hidden code in the software handling the automatic user recognition, with a nifty sub-routine figuring out what your actual plans are for a particular game; it then thwarts that plan reliably. It also makes me see excellent helmets by the truck-load when I am playing a Minotaur, and incredible Naga bardings when I am not a Naga.
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 07:41

Based on https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/mas ... n.cc#L2403
it is completely random. Game tries to create random mutations, checks their consistency (you cannot have both ice and fire mutations nor double cloud immunity) and tries again if fails.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 13:36

Tried it again. DsEE. Of course no Powered by Death, but Spirit Shield, the only mutation that is genuinely damaging to a caster. So here the ultimate response to the initial question: the most likely mutation to get is the one that will make you press ctrl-q well into the game...
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 13:43

Majang wrote:Tried it again. DsEE. Of course no Powered by Death, but Spirit Shield, the only mutation that is genuinely damaging to a caster.

You know later levels of this mutation increase mana regeneration, don't you?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 14:01

Fat lot of good it does you when you're dry of mana in the middle of a fight. In total, the mutation has the same effect as having a ghost moth looking over your shoulder the moment you come under attack. Okay, I exaggerate, but this mutation is entirely unwelcome for a caster (and very welcome for a melee fighter, I admit).
Maɟaŋ

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 14:11

I like spirit shield on all characters, casters included. Extra health is good!

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 14:29

Majang wrote:Fat lot of good it does you when you're dry of mana in the middle of a fight. In total, the mutation has the same effect as having a ghost moth looking over your shoulder the moment you come under attack. Okay, I exaggerate, but this mutation is entirely unwelcome for a caster (and very welcome for a melee fighter, I admit).

When I get the mutation as caster, I hybridize.
When I get the mutation as melee fighter, I hybridize.
Ds is all about adaptation to mutations IMHO.
If you know in advance that you will play a pure caster no matter what, why play a Ds? DE, Dr or even Te are more powerful and you won't be frustrated with random events.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 26th July 2017, 16:57

Certainly so, but the randomness also brings positive excitement. I just can't resist playing Ds. And, truth be told, I control-q very few games, and lose most others...
Maɟaŋ

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice