Merfolk god choice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 13:04

Merfolk god choice

Would a Mf Tm go better with Ru or Ash?
Victorious with 12:
MiFi^Oka, OgBe^Trog, DsGl^Yred, TrMo^Qaz, GrFE^Veh, HOSk^Beo, DrWz^Sif, DECj^Nem, DDAr^Mak, MfTm^Ru, NaWr^Chei, HEEE^Sif

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 13:08

Re: Merfolk god choice

Ru is probably a bit better, but Ash is also fine if you can survive the early game without any problems.

With MfTm of Ru, sacrificing a hand is a good idea.

If you go Ash, you can wield a weapon and curse it; it will meld when you use forms, and you get more piety while exploring with your hands bound.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 13:18

Ash is arguably one of the worst gods for Tm: weak early when Tm needs help the most, does not increase UC damage, causes problems with ring swapping (which is very useful for Tm, even for Mf who does not need Ice Form to swim), as Tm you typically train just a few magic schools and don't use heavy armour, later Statue/Dragon Form meld body armour losing bonus to Armour, with Blade Hands you don't cast much anyway.

Ru is a great god for Tm, you always have enough MP for Apocalypse and you can sacrifice Armour, hand and almost all magic schools easily. Sacrificing Courage is not a bad idea either, your melee damage will still rock.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 13:54

(NB, I've never played a Tm) Would Okawaru be a good choice? You get Heroism online fairly early, at the same part of the game when you XP is spread thinnest. Which forms can and cannot throw? If any can, Oka is an ammo god, too.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 14:00

Yes, Oka is among top Tm gods, +5 UC is a big deal, especially early.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 15:31

As I said above, I agree that Ru is better. I should probably not have said "a bit". Ru is probably a lot better.

Wrt. Ash and Tm, I have never had much trouble with Tm in the early game once I reach XL3: spider form is really good both offensively and defensively. Even XL2 is fine: sticks to snakes is great. The relative difficulty for Tm as compared to other backgrounds is, I find, more in the mid and late game, when XP is stretched a bit thin. In these situations Ash can help: Ash is generally a good god in the mid-to-late game. Scrying is always good, and passive detection and skills boosts are good as well.

Oka is good for Tm as well.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 16:33

Ru. If you have an altar and don't hate allies, Fedhas is even better for Mf than non-swimmy species.

Ash's "for more piety, curse a weapon and then meld it in every fight" Tm conduct is nnnnnggggaaaahhhhh.

I don't know how Ash should work for forms but right now it is very silly.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 17:09

Hellcrawl still has the best take on ash.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 20:33

watertreatmentRL wrote:Hellcrawl still has the best take on ash.

Also on Crawl.

On topic, Ru is very powerful, very flexible, and very fun, for virtually any character. Ash is super boring.

Edit: forgot about melding

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th June 2017, 09:41

I personally find Oka to be the most boring of Tm gods because she's super powerful. Heroism + Finesse murders everything.

If I really wanted to win a Tm dude, I'd pick Oka 1/1.

Ash is ok as well, because Tm wants lots of spells and his spell boosts help there. The exception might be Op who usually doesn't find 5 pieces of jewellery to curse.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 16th June 2017, 21:04

Been a Ru follower for about 12k turns now and he hasn't offered me a sacrifice. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Victorious with 12:
MiFi^Oka, OgBe^Trog, DsGl^Yred, TrMo^Qaz, GrFE^Veh, HOSk^Beo, DrWz^Sif, DECj^Nem, DDAr^Mak, MfTm^Ru, NaWr^Chei, HEEE^Sif

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th June 2017, 23:39

Seems rather high. Check your ability menu and see if you have an offer you missed? Are you still killing things? I think it's based on exp gain, so it might not happen if you're just sitting on a clear level, although I assume you aren't...

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 17th June 2017, 04:16

Got it sorted, my math was wrong on turncount
Victorious with 12:

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 18th June 2017, 02:24

So with Ru, can I reduce draining from using apoc with rN+?
Victorious with 12:

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 18th June 2017, 18:53

Fedhas, because that guy will pick you up and carry you through lair and shoals. But this is literally my second transmuter. Running a MeTM as well.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 18th June 2017, 22:31

Already got a solid game going with Ru. Definitely going to have a Fedas, probably with a Kobold
Victorious with 12:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice