Paralyze

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 05:47

Paralyze

I've been in danger several time because of paralyze, before dying of it (among other thing), as well as one of my friend
What is the best way to preventing it now that stasis is gone ?
Stacking RM stuff ?

Or knowing each monster that can cast it and run :D ? (I feel that there are more than before)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 05:57

Re: Paralyze

Danakh wrote:I've been in danger several time because of paralyze, before dying of it (among other thing), as well as one of my friend
What is the best way to preventing it now that stasis is gone ?
Stacking RM stuff ?

Or knowing each monster that can cast it and run :D ? (I feel that there are more than before)

Of course, the best option is to have MR+++++ AND run
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 06:37

Paralyse requires a clear line of fire, so you can control it a bit by using fog, summons or other monsters. Otherwise, the only defence is MR and having high AC (in case you do get paralyzed).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 09:40

You can always try to choose a position so that in case you get paralised your chances for death are minimalized. Fight with paralizers alone.

Also, giant eyeballs have a paralization attack that does not require line of fire. They are very rare tough, only appear in slime and as summons I think. They are also extremely slow, so you can simply walk away, and they cannot do anything else, so they are only dangerous if there are other monsters.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 10:35

sanka wrote:You can always try to choose a position so that in case you get paralised your chances for death are minimalized. Fight with paralizers alone.

Also, giant eyeballs have a paralization attack that does not require line of fire. They are very rare tough, only appear in slime and as summons I think. They are also extremely slow, so you can simply walk away, and they cannot do anything else, so they are only dangerous if there are other monsters.

A couple of correction: they need line of fire and they are now speed 10 with sputtercasting (what the sense of that word?) of orb spiders aka they need to charge 1 time before paralyzing someone.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
sanka, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 22:22

I'm going to miss my previously true favorite fact about giant eyes - a naga of chei could outrun them back when they were speed 3. Speed 3 x 2.8 = 8.4 energy gain, so even if it rolled 9 every turn for energy randomization, you'd still pull ahead over a long enough time.

But on a more serious note, I consider any character without MR+++ to always be at risk for "stupid stuff" which leads to "death". I know there are ways to get around it with careful play, but imho the binary nature of the threat and the severity of the consequence (no effect vs paralyzed for 6 turns and now dead) makes MR too important to not have, and thus a no brainer which is poor design. I tend to think all of the various elemental damage and MR effects are too strong, actually, but then again I hate high variance and crawl seems to prefer it.

MR+++ isn't quite high enough to be completely immune to high HD hexers, but it's pretty close and usually good enough. Depending on the threat I think it's usually somewhere in the middle of MR+++ range you're immune; if you can comfortably reach MR++++ it's basically guaranteed immunity to most MR-respecting effects.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 00:52

yea.. i value MR more than any other resist other than maybe rpois for swamp and perhaps spider. Its pretty terrible how stupid the run gets if you cant find any MR by certain point. I think potion of resist should also give a pip of MR

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 07:23

gameguard wrote:I think potion of resist should also give a pip of MR

I agree, and this has been suggested several times. I have no idea why the devs don't want to implement it. Resistance potions are rare, and this would force you to make decisions whether to use them for MR against various hexers, vault sentinels and so on or use them for Nikola, dragons, giants or save them for OoFs etc. I see absolutely no reason not to make them give MR as well.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 14:38

OK, thanks for all the reply, I am going to up my MR requirement for Zigg :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 15:17

Danakh wrote:OK, thanks for all the reply, I am going to up my MR requirement for Zigg :)

Having high MR is valuable in Zigs, but there are plenty of ways to get irresistibly paralyzed there. I still lament the removal of Stasis.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 18:48

I generally never used clarity for most of the game but I damned sure miss it when I have to fight tarantulas in spider.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 21:15

ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:Having high MR is valuable in Zigs, but there are plenty of ways to get irresistibly paralyzed there. I still lament the removal of Stasis.

The mighty Empire of the Ants welcomes you with four open arms.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd June 2017, 01:21

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:
ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:Having high MR is valuable in Zigs, but there are plenty of ways to get irresistibly paralyzed there. I still lament the removal of Stasis.

The mighty Empire of the Ants welcomes you with four open arms.

Pan-lord-filled Zig levels are places I'd probably want Stasis on by default, but at least non-formicids have some options left after getting surrounded and one Pan lord spoils the Tornado party with Silence.

In most of the game though perma-stasis locks Fos out of some of the best consumables and escape items in the game, so I'll politely have to decline the hearty invitation.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 2nd June 2017, 05:32

Many of the scrolls can get you out of it if you use them before being afflicted. I always though berserk would prevent paralysis, but i'm probably thinking of something else.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 05:58

If you don't have high enough MR, switch to the heaviest armour you can find. I believe it is intended by devs, more decisions, less unavoidable deaths.

Edit. An example from a tournament game I was spectating (notice the character has XL 17 in Depths 2):
  Code:
18760 | Depths:2 | Paralysed by a vampire knight for 3 turns
18931 | Depths:2 | Reached XP level 17. HP: 154/154 MP: 23/23
19259 | Depths:3 | Paralysed by a great orb of eyes for 7 turns
19626 | Depths:3 | Paralysed by a vampire knight for 3 turns
21498 | Depths:3 | Paralysed by a sphinx for 7 turns
21591 | Depths:4 | Paralysed by a wizard for 3 turns
22659 | Depths:4 | Paralysed by something for 2 turns
22670 | Depths:4 | Paralysed by a vampire knight for 3 turns
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 02:22

It's great to have an army (Death Channel, Infestation, or I suppose something summoned might work) - so you can have something save you.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 05:48

Let's add that the longest streak of the tournament ManMan's insane 15-game streak was broken by paralysis. But this was the kind that cannot be resisted by MR or anything else, it just happens and you die: hornets.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 143724.txt

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 20:42

that form of paralysis is resisted by not being in melee range of hornets (which also only appear in that situation if you decide to fight a speed 8 monster for some reason)

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
duvessa

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 20:54

CanOfWorms wrote:that form of paralysis is resisted by not being in melee range of hornets (which also only appear in that situation if you decide to fight a speed 8 monster for some reason)

So the point is that you should treat mangroves (that are fairly common in Swamp) like Mennas or Mara or whatever, teleporting away immediately and _hope_ that you survive until the tele kicks in. I wanna declare here that this direction is a horrible mistake.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 21:38

you're aware that non-chei/naga characters can just walk away from shambling mangroves right (because they're speed 8)

barachi might need to use hop to clear a gap but the speed difference should be very marginal

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th June 2017, 07:31

It is swamp, it's full of water which slows movement and it's full of fast monsters like hydra or alligator. Also most characters need to stairdance Swamp, I wouldn't like to have shambling mangroves wondering on upper floor while I am stairdancing or just retreated upstairs to replenish MP.

Edit. Also I checked my last 2 games with Swamp, they had 3 and 7 shambling mangroves. It is pretty hard to avoid 7 shambling mangroves on 4 floors, no matter if Barachi or not.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th June 2017, 22:32

too bad there's not a common potion, a ring, a boots ego, or a randart property that would let you move over water squares without being slowed down

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 7th June 2017, 05:55

duvessa wrote:too bad there's not a common potion, a ring, a boots ego, or a randart property that would let you move over water squares without being slowed down

There is. It's called Potion of Flight, or Ring of Flight, or Boots of Flight.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th June 2017, 06:01

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, prozacelf

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th June 2017, 07:08

Oh, I didn't know that my single potion of flight is enough to avoid 7 shangroves in Swamp as Tr who cannot wear boots and that ring of flight always generates and it is not required to train Evo to get its failure rate low enough in 0.20

Edit. Seriously speaking, crawl is about probabilities. You try to melee a monster, it gets lucky and now you have a chance to die so you react and do something to avoid the death, you had a plan B, right? Except it does not work for one specific effect because even if you have just a 0.001% chance to die to a monster, you still should avoid the monster due to inability to react, guess the effect name.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Vajrapani

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th June 2017, 07:59

The average character surely does not have a ring of flight by Swamp. I wonder what Objstat says about how many flight potions typically generate by Swamp... Boots and randart properties can be ignored, because they are so rare.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice