Dith and Heavy Armor?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 01:37

Dith and Heavy Armor?

It seems to me that Dith's ability would work well for tanky melee characters: shadow mimic, shadow form, bleed smoke. Umbra makes you harder to hit, even if its stealth bonus is largely canceled by your armor. How much does ignoring stealth on a Dith character "waste" worshiping it?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 06:56

Re: Dith and Heavy Armor?

It's not a waste imo, but you should really get a ranged attack too because then you get shadow mimic support for that as well.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
MainiacJoe, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 15:35

If you want armour and stealth then you could always consider Shadow Dragon Scales.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 16:54

I should have been clear to indicate that I would most certainly use a ranged weapon if I have a mimic.

Agreed about shadow dragon scales. I guess my question is, how much of Dith is the staealh, and how much is the other abilities?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 18:12

In my (limited) experience, the other abilities are more important. Stealth can be nice to avoid fighting and getting a few free kills here and there.

It does help to avoid dangerous enemies sometimes, but often you want to kill things for XP. And once you've picked a fight stealth doesn't do you much good. At that point umbra and shadow-mimic are really good. Bleeding smoke can be a life-saver and shadowform is great for ninja'ing runes.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 22:50

it's good insofar as heavy armor melee is good. Dith benefits are not that great compared to the myriad of better god choices available to such a character.
remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 05:02

The main challenge I've seen to this in the past, has been that melee "heavy" characters tend not to build up that much stealth.

Shadow Step sounds nice for them, but unless they somehow happen to get serious stealth along with their defense, they wake up everything almost as soon as they're within sight. So yeah, shadow dragon scales or lots of Dex/EV instead of the heaviest armor perhaps... This can present its own challenges, though.

The extra attacks, especially for faster missile barrages as well, can definitely be nice. But to really take off, it's gonna take some interesting combo of defense drops I suspect.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice