Wand of disintegration broken in .20?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 19:08

Wand of disintegration broken in .20?

Wand of disintegration seems broken in 0.20

It will not remove stone walls, trees, statues...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 19:25

Re: Wand of disintegration broken in .20?

changelog wrote:Wands of disintegration no longer destroy terrain.

Feature, not a bug. Wands of digging work on statues now too.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 19:36

May as well ask in this thread. What's the point of the disintegration wand? It's a beam damage spell that checks MR. Does it do an inordinately large amount of damage to compensate for these maluses, or is it a garbage tier wand like flame? At least flame can make steam, but disint can't alter terrain anymore. I don't see why it isn't just removed.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Gigaslurp, Majang

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 20:09

Tested: Digging does nothing to statues.

Have a suit of armour that i want but is surrounded by trees and statues and no way to get to it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 20:19

DeepDeath wrote:

Have a suit of armour that i want but is surrounded by trees and statues and no way to get to it.

Well, if you can find a wand of lightning (or perhaps cast fireball?), you could probably set the trees on fire.

Not sure what is up with statues at this point, but that might be one way.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 21:11

DeepDeath wrote:

Tested: Digging does nothing to statues.

There are some statues that are indestructible, but wand of digging certainly does work on granite statues. What kind of statue are you seeing?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 22:41

MainiacJoe wrote:May as well ask in this thread. What's the point of the disintegration wand? It's a beam damage spell that checks MR. Does it do an inordinately large amount of damage to compensate for these maluses, or is it a garbage tier wand like flame? At least flame can make steam, but disint can't alter terrain anymore. I don't see why it isn't just removed.

It does ignore ev,sh, and ac. Is really nice against killer bees for example. The damage is decent, not amazing (better than flame at a guess)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
MainiacJoe, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 22:48

Siegurt wrote:It does ignore ev,sh, and ac.
So do hex wands
Siegurt wrote:Is really nice against killer bees for example.
So are hex wands
Why do we need 6 MR-checking wands and a pile of damage wands on top of that? To maximize inventory clutter?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Gigaslurp, Implojin, yesno

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 23:06

Well I'd like to see removed confusion which in most cases is much like "worse paralysis" than disint which is more differentiated from both other hex and damage wands
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Implojin

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 23:12

An elephant-shaped statue.

A worn granite statue depicting an elephant standing guard.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 01:47

duvessa wrote:
Siegurt wrote:It does ignore ev,sh, and ac.
So do hex wands
Siegurt wrote:Is really nice against killer bees for example.
So are hex wands
Why do we need 6 MR-checking wands and a pile of damage wands on top of that? To maximize inventory clutter?

Well redundant is not the same as useless. Probably 3-4 mr resisted wands would be a good number imho i have no strong opinion if disintegration should be among them.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 01:50

Yes, the decision to remove the interesting part of disintegration but not entirely remove the wand is weird. It is both redundant and useless. Should be removed.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 03:10

watertreatmentRL wrote:Yes, the decision to remove the interesting part of disintegration but not entirely remove the wand is weird. It is both redundant and useless. Should be removed.

It is not useless (it is better than flame for example), and only marginally redundant.

Given the choices there are other mr resisted wands i would remove first, personally.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 03:52

DeepDeath wrote:An elephant-shaped statue.

Elephant-shaped statues (which generate in a specific lair end vault, due_jungle_book) are indestructible, and this wasn't either way affected by the change to disintegration. I do agree that that random good item behind a statue in that vault is confusing, but this vault is extremely old. Setting trees on fire is the best way to get it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 06:23

Seniority shouldn't exempt vaults from being changed, and that particular statue wasn't even in the original vault. No reason why the vault can't be changed again to remove that item. Even the pre-DCSS vaults labeled "do not touch" get changed sometimes, and due_jungle_book was added in DCSS 0.6 iirc.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 07:33

Out of curiosity, what would be the motivation behind labelling pre-DCSS vaults as 'untouchable'?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 11:09

advil wrote:
DeepDeath wrote:An elephant-shaped statue.

Elephant-shaped statues (which generate in a specific lair end vault, due_jungle_book) are indestructible, and this wasn't either way affected by the change to disintegration. I do agree that that random good item behind a statue in that vault is confusing, but this vault is extremely old. Setting trees on fire is the best way to get it out.

I figured on that vault, if that particular statue didn't wake up, you're out of luck.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 11:14

Siegurt wrote:
MainiacJoe wrote:May as well ask in this thread. What's the point of the disintegration wand? It's a beam damage spell that checks MR. Does it do an inordinately large amount of damage to compensate for these maluses, or is it a garbage tier wand like flame? At least flame can make steam, but disint can't alter terrain anymore. I don't see why it isn't just removed.

It does ignore ev,sh, and ac. Is really nice against killer bees for example. The damage is decent, not amazing (better than flame at a guess)

I did not realize that about the defenses.

Now if it always did damage (expect to magic-immune) reduced by enemy MR, that is, if enemy MR acted like AC for this wand instead of as yes/no, then it would be unique. And FWIW I'd find that wand useful whether I had high or low Evo.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 28th May 2017, 11:20

One difference between new digging and old disint is that digging doesn't work on doors.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice