The flow of time in Crawl

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 24th May 2017, 18:06

The flow of time in Crawl

I fairly simple question, perhaps.

Does time pass on dungeon floors other than the one currently visited by the character?

From my own experience the answer appears to be no. Floors tend to be pretty much how I left them. Monsters are still next to stairs, etc. But if course human memory and observation abilities are notoriously faulty.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th May 2017, 18:48

Re: The flow of time in Crawl

When you re-enter a floor crawl "fakes" some amount of time passing proportional to how long it's been since you visited it, generally speaking it appears to pass more slowly when you are off level, but some things happen at normal rates.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
stoneychips

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 17:22

Injured monsters usually heal up while you are away. Bodies decompose, skeletons disappear. So, time passes.
Maɟaŋ

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 17:45

So I could hang around on another floor / in anther branch for a long time, to make some bad things potentially wander away from the stairs?

Mu power!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 17:51

For all I know, that should work, but for some reason the baddies expect you to come back eventually, and they will be close by.
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 20:11

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:So I could hang around on another floor / in anther branch for a long time, to make some bad things potentially wander away from the stairs?

Mu power!

I think this has a semi-condescending nickname of mummy stabbing, if I recall. They can eventually fall asleep, hence you could get another chance to stab them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 21:01

tasonir wrote:I think this has a semi-condescending nickname of mummy stabbing, if I recall. They can eventually fall asleep, hence you could get another chance to stab them.

Not anymore, this was changed a few versions ago. Enemies no longer fall asleep with time.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
tasonir

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 06:27

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Does time pass on dungeon floors other than the one currently visited by the character?

This depends on how fast you are playing. When your speed gets close to speed of light - e.g. when you tab through the game - we must consider relativistic effects.

In this case, your time passes faster.

For details read about time dilation.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks: 2
chequers, Fingolfin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 13:52

Considering that nothing in the crawl universe has any mass these days, I think relativistic effects can safely be excluded.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, duvessa, Fingolfin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st June 2017, 22:48

I wonder what the correspondence between Dungeon time and real time is. Digestion speed is probably the most useful metric.
remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd June 2017, 17:30

tabstorm wrote:I wonder what the correspondence between Dungeon time and real time is. Digestion speed is probably the most useful metric.

It can take a few years to fully recover from injuries that brought one to the brink of death, so there's that too.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 2nd June 2017, 21:25

The most important time measure is that the Elf Demonologists' spells eventually run out, so that you can - after a good long wait - go back down the stairs and not die.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice