Rule of thumb for weapon enchantment?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 23rd May 2017, 19:36

Rule of thumb for weapon enchantment?

I have a randart +10 Falchion (freeze, +6 dex) and a +0 great sword. IIRC, you take the enchantment and divide by two, so the falchion is essentially +2, +12 compared to the -3, +15 great sword. I also vaguely recall freeze adding something like 25% damage? So would that bring them up to comparable damage levels, at least until I enchant and hopefully brand the GS.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd May 2017, 20:46

Re: Rule of thumb for weapon enchantment?

You can't accurately compare the two unless we know what your fighting and long blades skills are. If you have enough long blades skill to make the great sword reach min delay, then it's also getting a considerable amount of base damage added on. The more fighting skill you have, the better the great sword will be by comparison as well.

If your skills are still somewhat low, the falchion is going to be better. Especially if you have some dodging skill and the +6 dex is adding a few points of EV.

The "enchantment/2" thing is because your total slaying is rolled, so it +10 slaying has an average of about 5 (I think it's actually 4.5 but I'm not entirely sure?). Also worth mentioning that base damage is multiplied by fighting/weapon skill, so base damage is worth MORE than 1 damage, going up to roughly double when fighting/weapon skill are near 27. Unarmed is just multiplied by fighting, as unarmed skill raises base damage directly rather than multiplying it.

In short, this is all really complicated and annoying, but the falchion is probably better at low fighting/long blades, and eventually with enough skill I'd probably take the +0 great sword even as is; although practically speaking by the time you have the skills you'll probably also have enchanted the great sword somewhat to make the great sword the more clear winner.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice