How do you utilize current Wu Jian Council?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 14:30

How do you utilize current Wu Jian Council?

This is not a GDD post, I'm looking for an advice.

What I found out on my own:
- Whirlwind is for repositioning and fighting in a crowd, like using a better version of weapons from axes category.
- Wall jump is for the same, with a low chance of distraction in 1v1, so maybe decent for short blade users and the effect being not very noticeable for other weapon users.
- Lunge is pretty much a once per fight attack.
- Serpent's Lash is either a double tile dash or 2 turn Finesse, which seems really bad for its piety cost.

I have genuinely no idea how this god helps in difficult encounters. All I see is a tiny help for characters who can already fight multiple opponents at a time, because repositioning is done better with a simple level 2 spell called Blink and Serpent's Lash use for running away is done with a different level 2 spell called Swiftness. My conclusion so far is, aside from Heavenly Storm which might be good (haven't used it yet), that WJC does next to nothing and is barely distinguishable from playing an atheist.

Please share tips for efficient WJC use with me, I'm lost.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 14:39

Re: How do you utilize current Wu Jian Council?

The thing to Serpent's Lash is that WJC piety isn't exactly an important resource, Lash and Heavenly Storm are the only things you're spending piety on. Use it any time you're feeling uncomfortable.

IDK how much else to help you though since all my Wu Jian experience is with the old version of the god. It looks very lackluster to me now that wall-jump's been gutted and there's no reason to go for Whirlwinds instead of normal attacks in a corridor.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 16:43

All I see is a tiny help for characters who can already fight multiple opponents at a time

I agree. I've only won with the older version of the god as a Ds with Powered-by-death. Other characters that didn't have such convenient regen in fights tended to feel pretty weak.

Heavenly storm is decent, but if you want to efficiently use it(e.g. if you want to completely hose vaults:5 with a single cast)you'll probably want a vampiric weapon. But, then again if you have a good vampiric weapon the game is as good as won anyway.
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 19:36

Serpent's Lash combos with Heavenly Storm by extending it.

If you need help 1v1, you can run away or pillar dance until energy variance opens up a space between you for a Lunge. Same-speed chasers will occasionally get a hit in on you.

Anything is speculative while it remains in development, of course. Wu could end up with Usk's head-explode finisher, for example. Or Whirlwind could replace Usk's Stomp. /sadface
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 19:48

Leszczynek wrote:All I see is a tiny help for characters who can already fight multiple opponents at a time

In the creator's vision, there was more benefit available by setting up Lunge opportunities by using Whirlwind and Wall Jump to put a status effect on an enemy and end up in a position you can Lunge at them from. Lunge enjoyed a worthy boost against enemies with those status effects. This created a movement game that could be interesting for those who wanted to play it. However it was judged to be too powerful and was watered down to what we see now.

I hope that the "benefit from worshipping a god" level of power can be realized again via the originally-intended interaction between those three abilities so that the movement game they created is restored. The debuff types could be changed or weakened or what have you if they are too strong unto themselves.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice