When To Start Enchanting Body Armor?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 13:48

When To Start Enchanting Body Armor?

A long time ago I internalized the rule, "enchant your aux armor first." More recently I've begun wondering whether this might not always be the best plan. Surely sometimes you'll find a body armor that you know will be good enough to last the whole game, and you may as well start enchanting it. Please share how you decide when your body armor is worth spending enchant scrolls on it.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 14:00

Re: When To Start Enchanting Body Armor?

I enchant whichever piece of armor I have the lowest chance of upgrading. I almost always use the scrolls immediately, but if my aux slots are +2 and my body armor sucks, I may wait to use them until I find an armor more suitable in the long run.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 14:30

It is a low-risk investment to put your 8 scrolls into 4 items which max out at +2.
It is a high-risk investment to put your 8 scrolls into 1 item which max out at +8.

When you're sure that you want to enchant your body armour (plate mail F+ / dragon scales ?) because you know the branches you'll visit (3 runes) then do it.
The earlier the better.
It is not a religion :)

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, MainiacJoe

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 14:39

When you find body armor that's good enough to secure a win.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 15:47

NhorianScum wrote:When you find body armor that's good enough to secure a win.

While I appreciate the underlying idea, this statement isn't much more than rephrasing my OP question. If I know I'll be heavy-armor, then plate rF+/MR+ or GDA or sometimes shadow or storm dragon scales. If I'm going to be light-armor in the endgame, then I'm less sure what is good. QDA, of course, but what else? IDA and FDA feel like the depend too much on getting compensatory resistance some other way. Faerie dragon Armour is sometimes quite good. Beyond that, I don't know. Is ring MR+/rF+ good enough? Scale? Leather?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 17:45

Swamp/acid/steam scales are great for casty or stabby guys.

Lately I've been playing a lot of heavy melee, heavy armour adding spells late, and I end up waiting for perfect dragon scales for my character, usually pearl, shadow, storm, fire, ice, or golden. Pearl is extremely rare, of course. I really like shadow, but it needs pretty high Strength.

I'm completely sure this is sub-optimal. Good plate is great for heavy armour characters. Lighter armour I think is more character dependent: robes can be great, or ring or scale might be better, depending on your Strength, casting needs, and melee ability. A big stack of enchant armour scrolls screams for you to use at least some of it now. Etc.

We could probably come up with some situations where it's optimal to save the scrolls, but I bet almost all of us make the error in the other direction, by not using the scrolls immediately.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 3rd May 2017, 00:38

MainiacJoe wrote:If I'm going to be light-armor in the endgame, then I'm less sure what is good. QDA, of course, but what else? IDA and FDA feel like the depend too much on getting compensatory resistance some other way. Faerie dragon Armour is sometimes quite good. Beyond that, I don't know. Is ring MR+/rF+ good enough?

Edit: The whole aux first thing isn't about long term use it's a "lies to children" consideration for poison Sbranches. You are just as likely to "waste" aux EA as you are goodego-body EA in the long run.

Ring is enough to win on with a light armor dude, and maxes out at lower enchant than plate so its less of a risk. Ring drops early and anything you would replace it with is either incredibly rare and impossible to enchant, or drops very late.

So the non-decision is hold off on RF ring/cloak until Rpois/invis drops but go straight to max on MR ring.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice