How to take on Mara

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 03:14

How to take on Mara

So, you know that really nasty rakshasa Mara? I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to take it on (other than not taking it on in the first place).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 03:29

Re: How to take on Mara

Sit on stairs, go up the stairs if things go badly. Have rF+. Don't waste turns doing dumb stuff like wielding bread.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, ZipZipskins

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 06:44

From the wiki (I know it's outdated but in this case, it is sound advice):
Mara is a notoriously dangerous unique. First and foremost, remember that you do not need to kill every monster you come across in Crawl in order to win the game.

This is good advice since Mara can clone you and make 2 clones of itself. Depending on the weapon it starts with, he can be extremely dangerous and facing your clone is incredibly scary.
I usually try to avoid it in my games.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 07:02

Leaving out god invocations and heavy conjurations, these things help if you do know to watch out for your illusion and have at least rF+ :

Making a killhole.

Weapon choice: antimagic, holy, electrocution, freezing in no particular order. Even venom brand can be surprisingly good if you do get several poisoning attacks in.

Scroll of Summoning.

Wand of Iceblast. Does good damage even at low Evo skill. Acid and lightning work too but are subject to his EV.

Good archery works with any brand. This also makes your ghost a weak hitter.

edit: check his weapon brand before engaging. 3 Maras with demon trident of draining is a nightmare fight if you are short on rN.
Last edited by Sphara on Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 07:05

Also sack of spiders and box of beasts are really good if you have trained evocations.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 07:10

Mara certainly is a good reason for me to leave his habitat alone for as long as possible. But towards the end of the game, depending on your background, you may be strong enough to tackle him. The key to success is the ability to hit several targets at once. As a melee fighter, a strong axe comes to mind, especially with holy wrath, or antimagic. If you have access to powerful conjurations, Mara easily falls to Firestorm, Tornado or Shatter. Having those available, you will always hit the right Mara. If you see Mara right when he is in range of Iron Shot or LCS, you might even give it one or two shots before he duplicates (you), that may be enough to bring him down. If you fail, you can still tip your hat and run (teleport) off.
If you have, you may also read a few scrolls of holy word, which will equally affect the original and the duplicate Mara. Mara is a demon and therefore responds well to this treatment.
Maɟaŋ

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 07:42

The wiki page does have a few "Tips and Tricks."

Unless you're equipped for BIG aoe attacks, the usual advice generally applies about positioning: Get in a corridor or cover as many approaches as possible with terrain, so you can't get attacked by everything at once. There is some danger that a duplicate or ghost might get behind you too, though. If you can try to hold your own (or just have to), better to do it with fewer attacks coming each round. Of course, if you don't feel confident about dealing with Mara at all, forget this and try to just get the heck away before it all starts.

Think about how susceptible you are to your own stuff, so you have an idea how dangerous the ghost really is. If you're casting poison but more immune to it, all the better. If you're not immune to electric and wielding an electric weapon when your ghost is summoned, look out. If you have a holy weapon, well the whole thing should be somewhat easier (if it's a decent one) -- but taking down the ghost can go quick if you can get in range.

Seconds: Summoning stuff is generally good, as it gives the opposition distractions even if it doesn't carry the whole fight. And ditto, don't underestimate that box of beasts. (Wasn't the box draw determined by Dungeon depth rather than evocations now? Either way, it can generate some pretty cool stuff.) I also love iceblast on the crowd when there's nowhere to hide, or while you're at strength.

Alternatively, if you don't want to deal with this mess (Mara really can be vicious to many characters), pop a scroll of fog or back away early, before you get too close, and try to avoid that area if possible.

Stabbing a sleeping Mara, for stealthy characters, is also a great coup... Just think carefully first about whether you are ready to be in (or get out of) that spot if he wakes up.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 07:53

stoneychips wrote: Wasn't the box draw determined by Dungeon depth rather than evocations now?

Learndb says
HD of mutant beasts from the box of beasts is roughly (your evo skill + 1d7 - 1d7), rounded up to the nearest tier & capped at 27.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
stoneychips

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 09:26

Sprucery wrote:
stoneychips wrote: Wasn't the box draw determined by Dungeon depth rather than evocations now?

Learndb says
HD of mutant beasts from the box of beasts is roughly (your evo skill + 1d7 - 1d7), rounded up to the nearest tier & capped at 27.

Okay... Assuming that is kept up to date, someone fed me the wrong info then.

In any case, I'm usually happy with the Box even with quite low evocations, as far as I can recall. Lots of electric beasties firing bolts.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 11:54

Killholeswork on strong meledudes, Iron shot spam works on blasters. For weaker chars there's the standard cheese Vuln Scroll/Evo/Petrify.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 26th April 2017, 14:02

I rarely fight Mara, but I do recall one time a while ago when I could stairdance, and only the real Mara would follow. If she popped an illusion of me, I went upstairs immediately and waited for it to time out. If her ranged attacks hurt me more than mine were hurting her, I went upstairs to heal. Eventually, I was on the next level up with a bruised Mara in melee range, and I mighted and killed her. At least that's how I remember it :lol: .
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st June 2017, 17:50

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st June 2017, 18:49

Something tells me that having a friendly ice fiend might not be as good as it sounds :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st June 2017, 23:34

I think they don't use Torment if you're susceptible to it, if that's what you're thinking of. Their af:cold would make them pretty good allies, imo.
remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 05:35

Really? I've seen plenty of allies that don't give a shit about hurting you. Although I guess that usually applies more to stuff like fireballs and hellfire than torment specifically.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd June 2017, 14:26

Last night I destroyed Mara at XL:16 in Swamp with Summon Forest. Summon Forest in Swamp makes all the landscape trees go berserk, too!
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 2
stoneychips, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice