Random Questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 04:47

Random Questions

First, Elyvilions pacifiy ability only makes monsters neutral? What does that mean exactly, The hydra I just "pacified" still seems a bit nibbly and still attacks me. Should I kill it or something? If so whats the point of the ability? Also can I kill it and get 1.5 for experience for pacifying it and then killing it?

Second, I'm playing as a centaur hunter and its a lol and half kiting the whole world. I feel like a wizard who is permanently swifted/hasted. But does my armor effect my bow firing ability? I found a sweet chain mail randart but I imagine that would have some effect on my ranged attacks but I don't know. Can centaurs run around in crystal plate pelting everything to death? Also I've started training slings and flails because I'm rapidly running out of arrows to throw at people. Do people farm the enemy centaurs for arrows or something?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 05:47

Re: Random Questions

Pacified enemies only attack you if you're in their way. The point of the ability is to say: "I don't want to fight that thing" and make the monster go away. It can be used against anything in your LoS. The success rate depends on invocations and the type of the monster (it works much better against animals, so is great in Lair). It's like a hex; you can try repeatedly till you succeed. The wiki article on Elyvilon is decent enough, though not up-to-date (insects can be pacified now, for example). Just don't take anything there too literally.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 06:56

1158511 wrote: But does my armor effect my bow firing ability? I found a sweet chain mail randart but I imagine that would have some effect on my ranged attacks but I don't know. Can centaurs run around in crystal plate pelting everything to death?

Heavy armour does affect your to-hit value but you shouldn't worry about it. You're training armour skill anyway when you're in heavy armour. Centaurs can definitely run around in crystal plate pelting everything to death.

If you're not worshipping Trog or Okawaru (who would gift you arrows), you'd better kill popcorn monsters with a melee weapon so that you don't run out of ammo.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 08:58

Heavy armour has the same effect on ranged combat as it does on melee combat, i.e. no significant penalty.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 19:48

As always thanks for the quick responses, you guys rock. I guess next time I'll pick a better God for my second hunter so I don't end up making a melee char + occasional bow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 21:19

I think attacking a pacified monster would give you penance, wouldn't it? In any case the way to handle it is to move out of the path the neutral monster is trying to go towards, and let it leave. God gifts can help with ammo a lot, but you should still use some melee to save ammo. I wouldn't train both slings and flails as a backup to bows though - just the melee weapon should be plenty.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 20th April 2017, 12:18

Is the robe of folly unrand usable or is the Mr penalty that bad compared to the power boost?
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th April 2017, 13:30

Fingolfin wrote:Is the robe of folly unrand usable or is the Mr penalty that bad compared to the power boost?

It depends on what your MR is with and without it and where you are in the game. A regular robe of archmagi would be better for most characters who want a spellpower boost. Low MR can be very dangerous.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice