Starting a Troll of Usk

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 07:46

Starting a Troll of Usk

I was thinking about starting this char and was wondering about the best background.
  • What would be the advantage of using a monk?
  • Which skills should I focus on at the start? Unarmed until finding Usk then unarmed and invocations.
  • What do I gain by leveling armour? Or should I simply level dodging and fighting, throwing for large rocks and evo for wands?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 10:07

Re: Starting a Troll of Usk

All Trolls play the same, at least initially. Since Uskayaw piety goes up and down very fast, Monk gets no advantage at all. You might want to start with Fi, since they get a free shield.

Only train Armour once you find a suitable dragon armour to wear. Other training is "whatever you think makes sense". Large rocks are better than wands.
Last edited by bel on Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
nago

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 10:11

Good call. I started a monk and a gladiator but they met untimely deaths. They're quite squishy, I have to get used to them.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 10:15

Pillar dance more.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 13:12

"Squishy" is not an adjective that easily comes into my mind when I want to describe trolls.

I suggest to train fighting and dodging, and put stat points into dexterity. ( Unless you find some dragon armour, when you may train armour.)

Also, hunters used to start with large rocks, which sounds even more useful for Usk since ranged damage works well with her.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
nago

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 14:19

Throwing large rocks looks good when they hit but looks bad when they don't.
They will be slow for a very long time.
Don' use them with smiters/archers/fast monster around unless you know what you're doing.

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks:
stoneychips

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 19:13

sanka wrote:"Squishy" is not an adjective that easily comes into my mind when I want to describe trolls.

I suggest to train fighting and dodging, and put stat points into dexterity. ( Unless you find some dragon armour, when you may train armour.)

Also, hunters used to start with large rocks, which sounds even more useful for Usk since ranged damage works well with her.

I like troll warpers a lot, personally.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 21:01

Sanka wrote:"Squishy" is not an adjective that easily comes into my mind when I want to describe trolls.

Yeah, me neither. The word is probably glass cannon.
Siegurt wrote:I like troll warpers a lot, personally.

Care to elaborate?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 22:43

Zhorgal wrote:
Sanka wrote:"Squishy" is not an adjective that easily comes into my mind when I want to describe trolls.

Yeah, me neither. The word is probably glass cannon.
Siegurt wrote:I like troll warpers a lot, personally.

Care to elaborate?

Trolls make really robust starting chars, but lack of ac is a problem a little ways after the start (think early lair), SoG helps you tank more, blink lets you exploit troll regeneration and gets them out of bad situations. Large rocks are good late game and portal projectile lets you use them to take out threats that are in the back (smiters, summoners etc)

Trolls are already super powerful melee bruisers, the warper book gives them some much needed flexibility, plus increases their starting int to a point where it isn't horrible to get low level spells on line. (Not right off the bat of course, but at a useful time frame)

To be clear, you play a trwr at the start like any other troll, but you get some useful options when you need them from your starting kit.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 01:00

FWIW in trunk, Warper gets Gell's Gravitas and it's Arcane Marksman who gets Portal Projectile.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 05:58

njvack wrote:FWIW in trunk, Warper gets Gell's Gravitas and it's Arcane Marksman who gets Portal Projectile.

Yes, it's no longer quite as interesting of a combo in trunk, it's too bad that gell's is so terrible, however lesser beckoning does help trolls out somewhat.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice