Spell Failure Percent Color

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 1st April 2017, 16:17

Spell Failure Percent Color

I just lost a character after getting banished after miscasting Summon Hydra at 12% failure. The 12% was colored yellow in my spell list so I thought I wouldn't be able to get some of the nastier miscast effects, but apparently I was wrong. I also had 5* piety with Sif which I know isn't guaranteed protection but overall I thought I would be pretty safe.

So what happened here? Did I just get really unlucky or is this something I should worry about more often?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st April 2017, 17:14

Re: Spell Failure Percent Color

learndb wrote:Spell success rates are coloured according to miscast severity. Grey means less than 0.1% chance of a severity 2+ miscast, yellow means < 0.5%, light red < 2.5%, dark red >= 2.5%.

Banishment is a level 3 summoning miscast, so I guess you got really unlucky...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Dole

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd April 2017, 21:38

Generally speaking, I'm usually pretty comfortable casting yellow failure spells in the short term (always take them down to white as you gain more experience), and avoid casting red failure spells unless I really, really need them, with no other reasonable option. You can shift some yellow spells into the "avoid casting this" group if they're from schools with more dangerous miscasts - this usually means summoning (banishment) and transmutations (malmutations), but with the changes to potions of mutation, transmutations may not be as bad anymore.

Any other spell schools with worse-than-usual miscasts that I'm missing?

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Dole

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd April 2017, 22:13

Translocations also have banishment and charms have paralysis.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 4th April 2017, 01:20

Dole wrote:I just lost a character after getting banished after miscasting Summon Hydra at 12% failure. The 12% was colored yellow in my spell list so I thought I wouldn't be able to get some of the nastier miscast effects, but apparently I was wrong. I also had 5* piety with Sif which I know isn't guaranteed protection but overall I thought I would be pretty safe.

So what happened here? Did I just get really unlucky or is this something I should worry about more often?

One thing to know is that color in the spell list display already factors in sif piety, so that yellow includes your miscast protection.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
Dole

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th April 2017, 00:53

advil wrote:
Dole wrote:I just lost a character after getting banished after miscasting Summon Hydra at 12% failure. The 12% was colored yellow in my spell list so I thought I wouldn't be able to get some of the nastier miscast effects, but apparently I was wrong. I also had 5* piety with Sif which I know isn't guaranteed protection but overall I thought I would be pretty safe.

One thing to know is that color in the spell list display already factors in sif piety, so that yellow includes your miscast protection.

Good to know. I had just never seen a tier 3 miscast from a yellow fail percent before so I assumed it was impossible rather than just highly improbable.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th April 2017, 01:08

If gray means you still have a .1% chance to get a level 3 miscast, that seems like just arbitrarily screwing someone over when they cast a spell that should be safe, no? Does your level 2/3 miscast chance ever hit zero?

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice