How to Use Gold Distraction?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 19:04

How to Use Gold Distraction?

My current character is an OpFi^Goz with Snakebite and Throwing that has just finished Lair. I have been underwhelmed by gold distraction so far, even when I turn off gold autopickup and lure to killing zones that accumulate heaps of gold all over (I don't do this all the time, but the petrified forest Lair ending for instance was perfect for it). I've read that gold distraction is a powerful effect, though, so what am I missing?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 20:01

Re: How to Use Gold Distraction?

the gold distraction effect kicks in when you kill the monster, not when you pick up gold (your gold turns blue when this is happening)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 21:10

Oh. I had the impression that gold in the monster's LOS triggered distraction. So there's no harm in keeping a tidy dungeon? The distraction check only happens at the aut that the gold is created when a monster dies?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 22:48

MainiacJoe wrote:Oh. I had the impression that gold in the monster's LOS triggered distraction. So there's no harm in keeping a tidy dungeon? The distraction check only happens at the aut that the gold is created when a monster dies?

And for a little while thereafter, yes.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice