What to do if there's no temple?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 23:06

What to do if there's no temple?

Hi there,

I'm crawling through the dungeon, but have not found the temple with my current character yet. I always thought it is garanteed to be generated between D:4 and D:7, but I was not able to locate it there. I wandered around in these levels for ages searching all walls for a secret door, but no luck.

I just found an altar of Ashenzari and two of Xom and I am XL:11 on D:13, and still no god...

Any advice?

PS: No scroll of magic mapping so far...

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 23:23

Re: What to do if there's no temple?

The temple always generates. But you can miss it.

Are you manually exploring? Sometimes you miss things. Try going back to the floors where the temple could be and mash "o". Let autoexplore double check.

It's also possible you missed the temple because it's in an isolated "bubble". Dungeon floors can be non-contiguous, as in you can't get there from here, at least not without going through another floor. Every floor should have exactly 3 downstairs and 3 upstairs (plus escape hatches). Make sure you've tried all 6 on all floors (well, not the ups on D:1, of course)- it's quite possible you missed a section of a floor if you haven't.

If neither of these fixes your problem, it's probably behind a secret door, especially since some of the temple entry vaults use them. The only real solution here is to become spoiled from experience and learn to recognize these vaults when you see 'em.

There's nothing wrong with picking up a god outside the temple, though Xom wouldn't be my first choice, if you wanna live. I don't have much experience with Ash, and while divinations could certainly be useful for lots of roles, I don't know that He's would be your first choice either. What role are you playing anyways? Were you planning on a specific god?

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
dk

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 23:29

I'm playing MuWz and wanted to join Kiku, but maybe I worship Sif Muna instead, since I already found the Necronomicon (but have no Necro-skill yet).

I'm always using Autoexplore, and all levels are fully explored, except of one (which can't be fully explored due to some trees). I also used all escape hatches and stepped over teleport traps all the time, but still no luck...

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 23:43

Just to be on the safe side: every dungeon level between D:4 and D:7 shows three white < and three white > at the top?

Given that, Ashenzari is usable for almost any combo.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
dk

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 00:04

Stupid me, I found the temple! But I had to find the third, hidden staircase up in level 8 to reach it. thx

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 02:50

mageykun wrote:Every floor should have exactly 3 downstairs and 3 upstairs (plus escape hatches).

I thought every floor should have at least 3 downstairs and 3 upstairs? There can't be more?
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 03:29

sir_laser wrote:
mageykun wrote:Every floor should have exactly 3 downstairs and 3 upstairs (plus escape hatches).

I thought every floor should have at least 3 downstairs and 3 upstairs? There can't be more?

Exactly three stone up and down staircases each. There can be any number of hatches.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 12th December 2011, 14:28

Also, branch entrances.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 12th December 2011, 17:27

dk wrote:I'm playing MuWz and wanted to join Kiku, but maybe I worship Sif Muna instead, since I already found the Necronomicon (but have no Necro-skill yet).

Mummies can only cast Haunt from the Necronomicon and get no special Kiku benefits while doing it (unlike living races), so finding one shouldn't really be a factor at all towards Mu god choice.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 12th December 2011, 18:32

I know you found the entrance, but: +1 on taking Ash. The curse thing is actually pretty user-friendly, and the powers you get are really awesome all the way through the game.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice