Favourite race for wizards in 0.9?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2011, 20:48

Favourite race for wizards in 0.9?

Heya all,

i did spent a lot of time with wizards in 0.8 but moved on to 0.9 now. In 0.8 i prefered Naga, due the high HP, see invis and psn resistance.
But tbh i am done with them, cause i don't like slowwwww :).

Now i was wondering what race people like best in 0.9? I guess lower HP races got higher HP now, so HP makes less of a difference? Also they can train fighting skill without being in melee range :).

Spriggan sounds nice cause of their speed, but their HP is so much lower than Naga. Or is it not -that- bad on higher levels in 0.9?

Demonspawn can be nice too, if they get some nice mutations :).

Demigods i don't really like, simply cause i can't choose a god with them, so i don't have mana regen :(. I highly rely on the mana regen at killing stuff ><.

Deep elf is like a spriggan but slower i guess.

High elf is more all rounded... they can nicely get along with a sword too, but is it really reliable at higher levels? I mean, 1-2 bad hits and bye bye character?

Human... base character, but levels nicely. But this is more of a n00b race right?

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2011, 21:14

Re: Favourite race for wizards in 0.9?

My favorite race by far is Demonspawn.
Got my only wins with them and leveling up is much more fun with the mutations.
And with their apts they can be pretty much everything. Only takes a little while longer ;>

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2011, 21:27

my two 15 runers (one in 0.9) have been High Elves so far, they are my favorite caster race. Starting with short blades (quick) and switching to long blades later on allows to play a character that holds himself in melee - later on this works well with some tornado around you :)
due to the new skill system leveling necromutation for the extended game became much easier, despite bad aptitudes.

kobolds are also nice as you don't have to worry about food.
spriggans can escape nearly everything, but casting spells early is kind of out due to the food clock unless you luck out with a staff of energy.
well, deep elves rule the magic world, of course, but they are difficult to sustain, i got my last killed in pandemonium, just too few HP to survive some fiends at once.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2011, 22:05

Hey Minmay,

my experience with them is that they have too low HP to actually get into melee with monsters later on. With a Naga i aint afraid to stand toe to toe, but with elfs... it always ends bad somehow. Maybe just bad luck, or meleeing the wrong monsters (giants that hit with big clubs etc).
Perhaps i need more experience :).
Edit: do they tend to use armour or robes?

Also, i agree on the human, demigod, demonspawns races. So many skills to level on the same time, that it often ends up in too many skills on an average level. In 0.9 this can be even harder due the manual skilling. But it can also be easier if you know what you're doing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th August 2011, 01:16

The optimal vanilla (i.e. non-gimmick) race to pair with the wizard background is probably the high elf. High elves have exceptional aptitudes in everything that is remotely important to an early-game wizard, and their weak aptitudes are scattered and mostly irrelevant at every stage of the game. They also have exceptional stat totals, which let them master their starting spells significantly earlier than most other races. The only weakness of high elves that I'd rate as consequential at all is their slightly anemic hit point values, between their racial frailty and their slow leveling speed, but ultimately they have no reason to stand and fight things that can hit back. In the endgame, they've given up essentially nothing in exchange for their easy early game.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 11th August 2011, 07:34

minmay wrote:Probably one of the more difficult species for a new or bad player to win. Humans (and demigods, demonspawn, etc.) will be training and using a lot of different skills since their aptitudes are flat, and the more options you have the more likely you are to not know how to use one of them properly.

With the 0.9 skill system you can control the skill leves very exact. but of course you would have to know what is important when first, not very newbie friendly.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 12th August 2011, 07:13

Hmm ye with a Naga i'm meleeing easy stuff, and sometimes the wrong stuff, like Ettins. Then it can be over fast ^^. Now with 0.9 i don't need to be close at all anymore, cause i can level fighting skill without being close at all. Pure wizard time tbh! :D.

Also, i level fighting to as high as i can on every wizard i make. By the midgame it's allready around 10+. Don't know if i could have pulled it of with a high elf in 0.8, but in 0.9 i should be able to.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 14:44

Spriggans work for Wizards. This background has a particularly high Spellcasting level, so combined with the Spriggan's natural aptitude SpWz start with a really good level of Spc, which means significant reduction to the Hunger costs right off the bat.
Then the Wz weakness is that they only have lowish level spells, but that mean that they all have a reasonable food cost, so a SpWz can really quickly get to the point where he can cast everything from his starting book hungerless.

Their superior speed mean that they can easily outrun anything problematic, so you shouldn't be stuck meleeing anything for a while.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 21:41

Hey guys have you tried a merfolk wizard ?

Pros :
Good intelligence
good dexterity and evasion
good polearms aptitude
pretty good fighting and hitpoints.]
water walk

cons :
difficult / impossible to cast firestorm
bad conjuration aptitude (-2)
zero aptitude in spellcasting

I am personally biased towards merfolk ;D won my first game with a merfolk berserker.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 01:38

What about Mummy? No spell hunger.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 05:22

i like spwz for defense and dewz for offense.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 21:14

sir_laser wrote:What about Mummy? No spell hunger.

Spell hunger is not really a problem Wizards really have. Since they are more well-rounded they rely more on Spc than other backgrounds, and they start with more of it too, and they only have spells that are pretty easy to cast hunger-less since everything is low level in their book.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 23:14

Pretty much any species without bad magical aptitudes can make a good wizard. Some are better than others, but only a few are particularly bad. And even then, the bad species can do pretty well as casters if you know what you're doing since they tend to be the more robust species. Heck, a Troll Wizard will probably be clawing things early on more often than they throw magic darts.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 16:07

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Pretty much any species without bad magical aptitudes can make a good wizard. Some are better than others, but only a few are particularly bad. And even then, the bad species can do pretty well as casters if you know what you're doing since they tend to be the more robust species. Heck, a Troll Wizard will probably be clawing things early on more often than they throw magic darts.

Yeah, Minotaur Wizards are perfectly capable as long as they pick up an axe and worship Trog.

For this message the author Blade has received thanks:
Jabberwocky

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 19:06

I like playing HeWz, good attributes, and He is a easier species to branch into melee with. I like having decent melee skill on my wizards for the situations when I run out of mana.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 05:27

Troll Wizard is seriously a good combo, just play Unarmed right from the start and pretend like spellcasting doesn't exist. Only later on, once you're comfortable in melee, you can start pumping your spells. This occurs in Lair or so. Always remember to pump Intelligence.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ogres! Amazing HP and melee ability, with a fantastic +2 to spellcasting. Only thing that hurts, of course, are the school aptitudes, but... can't be perfect.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 07:58

I still like Sludge Elves and Demonspawn. The former seem like an unobvious combo doe to the -2 Conjurations aptitude, but turns out to be effective in different ways. The latter are just generally awesome :)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice