FE of Qazlal

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 26th January 2017, 02:22

FE of Qazlal

So, I've been trying some FEs of Qazlal. Mostly DE and HO. OK, so one of the motive is walking through my own Conjure Flame, which is just gimmicky. Let us move past that.

I have done reasonably well in the past with tanky Qazlalians. This new trial hasn't been going so well.

I am not going to bother with dumps because it isn't an issue of the specific characters. They all had the same trajectory. Things get harder as the noise ramps up and pulls more dudes - pressuring your MP. Then things get a bit simpler as you get more powerful with your spells and more Qazlal defences. Then, sometime in one of the lair branches it all just becomes too much and even with all the stair dancing I just get over loaded by mobs, and die.

As a comparison I previously had a Tanky Qazlalian defeat the entirety of Snake 4 from the stairs (because they kept pulling in) while these casters just can't take it.

Additionally, Qazlal's activated abilities complement a melee dude (allies, big aoe, small aoe) and the resistance thing is more helpful if you don't have to worry too much about the first hit that triggers the resistance.

As a caster I don't find Qazlal's activated abilities as useful. It is hard to spend XP on invocations when I could spend the XP on fireball, and when I am already pressed for XP between spell schools and defences. Also, all the noise makes getting safety spells (regen, blink, etc) castable more pressing. Moreso, the activated abilities compete for MP (while on a tank the MP might be not so useful and Invocations just takes the ranged weapon XP). On the upside Qazlal means I don't need deflect missiles, and the fact that mobs don't walk into clouds means backing up can open a space between you and your pursuer which reduces the need for Blink.

I have to say that it is really fun, I just can't seem to make it work long term.

TLDR

Is caster of Qazlal realistic?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 26th January 2017, 03:14

Re: FE of Qazlal

Short answer: No

Long answer: Yes, but because qaz's invocations require so much mp anyway, you would be better off just taking Sif or Veh and making your own noise/clouds.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th January 2017, 03:16

Re: FE of Qazlal

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice