Skills needed to win with FeCj

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 14:15

Skills needed to win with FeCj

What skills/spells do I need to win with FECJ? I have been slowly learning new things I need like Passage of Golubria. At this point my in ability to win with FECJ must be my lack of skill. My deaths start around spider and shoals usually to a lack of rpois. The good news I normally die with no blink, heal wounds etc, so I am using my resources. I have only made it to zot 1 once.

Here are the skills as I see them now:
Stair walk
Run from almost every combat
Use blink and passage of Golubria
Sif Muna has been fairly good
Use digging to make tunnels

Any help is appreciated.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 14:26

Re: Skills needed to win with FeCj

High stealth/dodge, with enough uac to stab and a panic button god featuring some way to ninja runes is my preference on felid (LRD+ apport + passage for preference). Felids are low xl wins you'll average xl17-21.

For starter book prioritize Daz spray (stabs) and Prism (This is your primary killdudes all game long, kills OOF's real dead), battlesphere is just there for blink frogs in lair.
For "winning the game": Translocations, LRD, hexes and dual school hexes (SMV, Inner flame, invis, Prism). Antimissile. Summoning can be quite strong with SMV/Scritters. Some spells are very strong at cheesing out specific branches.

For specific rune strats:

Spider: Just learn some hexes, invis, or poison magic. Relec is way more important than Rpois. You pretty much have to fight your cat ass down to spider $ but the vault can be ignored via LRD+translocations and OTR can kill 99% of this branch.
Snake: Do not enter snake on a felid.
Shoals: Dive and grab. Translocations + wand of flame + msl spell make this a pretty easy rune.
Swamp: Combat heavy ish but nothing aside from thorn hunters is actually threatening with flight+rpois. Fire kills everything real dead. LRD breaks into the runevault.
Abyss: You are a cat in abyss, just walk around for 20 minutes aport the rune and call it a day.
Slime: Dive, cheese out TRJ with your method of choice. High Mr is all you need for this.

For depths: find 2 stairs>Dive
For zot: 5 scrolls of magic mapping divebabydive>LRD into orb chamber from behind>grab orb>win because you have fast movement and 3 lives.

Alternate strats:

Worship Ru, spam Apocalypse constantly leveling only your core skills.
Worship Kiku and win with a tidal wave of undead flesh.
Last edited by NhorianScum on Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 15:06, edited 3 times in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 14:45

Are you dead set on a felid *conjurer*? I'm sure it can be made to work, but felid apts make such good enchanters that any other playstyle is a bit of a challenge. TBH, even if I was trying to win FeCj specifically, I'd start building a hex-stabber from the beginning. Cj even has Dazzling Spray in the starter book.

Lair branches can be especially brutal without rPois with a low-HP race. Lots of stairdancing is involved, but you knew that already. It's just tedious.

The rest of the tactics you listed tell me you know what to do, but felids are especially RNG dependent because they can only wear rings and in some games they are just nowhere to be found. A lack of books can similarly gimp a felid.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 14:53

FeCj is not that different from other Felids (except Be) i.e. you want statue/dragon form.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/SlowThinker ... 031723.txt

Code:
* Level 21.9 Fighting
 - Level 25.1 Dodging
 - Level 11.9 Stealth
 + Level 24.6 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 17.4 Spellcasting
 - Level 12.3 Conjurations
 - Level 4.0 Hexes
 - Level 12.2 Charms
 - Level 5.9 Necromancy
 - Level 7.7 Translocations
 - Level 16.6 Transmutations
 - Level 7.4 Ice Magic
 - Level 10.0 Air Magic
 - Level 11.5 Earth Magic
 - Level 13.7 Evocations

Are you saying those are not skills of Conjurer? They are. It's just a bad idea to be a pure conjurer.

Code:
 Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Dragon Form           Trmt           #######...   1%          7    #####..
b - Phase Shift           Tloc           ######....   2%          5    None
c - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
e - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   ######....   2%          6    ####...
f - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
g - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ######....   1%          3    None
h - Animate Dead          Necr           N/A          2%          4    None
l - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      ######....   1%          6    ####...
r - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ######....   4%          6    ####...
s - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ######..     0%          2    None
t - Statue Form           Trmt/Erth      ######...    1%          6    ####...
H - Haste                 Chrm           ######..     2%          6    ####...
S - Silence               Hex/Air        ######....   4%          5    None
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 17:20

Thanks for the reply's.

I have been trying to do a FeCj focused almost completely based on conjurations, hoping for earth spells for Orb's of fire. What would the easiest Felid build be? I tried FeBe but I found this build more difficult than FeCj. I searched for a Felid build and didn't find anything. Based on what I have read so far I will try an enchanter next or FeCj of Ru.

NhorianScum thanks for the walk through. I am looking forward to playing more tonight.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 17:46

sage1234 wrote:What would the easiest Felid build be?

In my experience, FeEn. It plays quite like a SpEn early on, except UC instead of SBl. Unlike spriggans, felids keep being effective in melee after midgame and in Statue Form they can be even somewhat tabbable. And one-shotting an occasional panlord is quite fun.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, ohmi

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th January 2017, 21:27

Felids can be easily played as actual conjurers and it's pretty effective too, though excessive kiting can get on your nerves if you're not a patient person.

http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/Le ... 135058.txt

Fulminant Prism is your bread and butter as you can outrun most things and you have a great apt in Hexes. For those you can't outrun, either use straight damage or, better, confuse them first. The latter requires finding an appropriate spellbook though.

For orbs Spellforged Servitor + heavy conjurations should do the trick.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th January 2017, 07:24

dodge/stealth/hexes should be enough. max out the level 2 conjuration spell, then go into UC if u want to stab I guess. Never tried UC stabbing though...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2017, 07:39

Re: needed to win with FeCj

UC stabbing is special for Fe, it is as effective as short blades. And unlike Short Blades you train UC very high so Felid UC stabs can deal crazy damage (1000+)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice