Sword Choice for DSMo of Trog

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 10:56

Sword Choice for DSMo of Trog

I started as a long-blades user. I've cleared Lair, Orc, and the Dungeon. I already have claws 3, and part of me wants to make use of that by training unarmed and using the +7 antimagic demon blade Trog gave me (since upgraded to +9). How practical is this compared to using a shield or the +1 triple sword I also just got from Trog? Offhanding with claws is the 'coolest' option; I guess I'm just wondering how sub-optimal it is.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 14:05

Re: Sword Choice for DSMo of Trog

I would've ditched weapons as soon as I got claws 3 and decent UC skill
Memento mori

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:46

I'm pretty sure offhand attacks don't benefit from unarmed combat skill.

That being said, why not both?
You'll do more raw damage with the UC (at high skill). But since the Demon Blade is already probably at mindelay, then keep it around for the antimagic effect and to lean on while you train UC.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:52

Henzell wrote:
  1. Does 5 + (unarmed skill / 2) damage. Got +6 bonus for blade hands prior to 0.16. Gets a +(claws level)d3 bonus for claws. Disabled in forms other than lich, shadow, statue and tree prior to 0.17.
  2. While eligible you get an offhand punch if you pass all these checks: 1: (str+dex) in 50. 2: 1 in 3, or 1 in 2 for Op. 3: UC*10 in 200. Str+dex above 50 and UC above 20 have no effect on the chance so at best you'll punch 1/3 or 1/2 of the time.

Doesn't seem like something you can count on, and you do need to train UC for it. UC of zero will fail the 3rd check every time.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:56

In your shoes, I'd have started training UC as soon as my claws grew, but since you didn't I'd stay long blades. UC is expensive. You already have a good attack, and Trog will keep giving you long blades, eventually a 2-handed one you can swap to against non-casters. I really think the skill points you'd spend to get UC online would be better spent getting really good defenses. Unless you're doing extended where XP is functionally limitless, that's what I'd do.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice