What would you wear? (Zigg post-27)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 23:21

What would you wear? (Zigg post-27)

This is a different question but also an extension of a previous post.

viewforum.php?f=5

Naga Artificer Zin - Post 27. Looking to turn her into a Zigg-buster.

Note that, with Zin's vitalization and lighter armor and a bit of Int+ I hit 1% on Tornado.
Library has everything but Haste T__T.
Currently with Zin- locked out of necromutation and statue form (for added Torment resistance).
Mastery in swords, fighting, spellcasting, air, evocation, invocation, stealth, armor, shields, and dodging.

Given that I need to keep my inventory light, which of the following would you bring with you?

Dump:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/esmel ... lusina.txt

Slightly more visually pleasing version:

The uhh, gear I have equipped are the ONLY PRACTICAL options for those slots. I've got ~100 randarts, but among them those in my inventory here are the only practical choices. Note that, as a Naga, the +6 Faerie Dragon Armor and that +10 Scale Mail have approximately the same AC bonus, so the FD armor let's me cast better. My amulets aren't swappable- I was using the Faith one solely for the rN+. Mainly want to make sure I can hit rN+++ and rElec. Other resistances really just need 1-2 ranks. I'm more or less indestructible in melee (over 30 AC/EV/SH) without any armor or hat on. Like-- I don't need the extra AC at all.

Thanks!

edit: forgot an okay robe option.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 23:35

Re: What would you wear? (Zigg post-27)

doesn't matter, ur gonna die

For this message the author Kismet has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, esmelusina, ydeve

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 00:10

No lightning scales, eh?
I personally like the look of that scale mail, but I dunno how much does +regen matter in Zigs, and crown already gives you sInv and is the best hat of the three.
Of the rings, n and q look nice.
Memento mori

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 04:04

dracos369 wrote:No lightning scales, eh?
I personally like the look of that scale mail, but I dunno how much does +regen matter in Zigs, and crown already gives you sInv and is the best hat of the three.
Of the rings, n and q look nice.

sInv is a Naga intrinsic and my hat slot is the more comfortable option for rCorr. Honestly though, most corrosive attacks can't hit me so I'm not sure how much it matters.

Yea-- utterly crap luck with most armor slots. I used acquirement 3 times for armor. I got non-art bardings every time (flying, stealth, generic)... and +2 strength gloves (best I've seen!).

If I make it out of my first Zigg, I may farm Pan w/Gozag and see if I can't buy into better end-game gear, then maybe go to Chei if I can't get lightning scales.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 06:49

LOL--

My first acquirement scroll in the Zigg gave me Lightning Scales!

Walked out of Z:27 unscathed!

The loot and unrandarts were plentiful. I spent a good amount of time re-configuring my gear just to accommodate. Some pretty stellar finds-- I'm way too mentally taxed to digest what to do with all this junk T__T.

STILL NO HASTE.

Only hit 2 Tomb themed levels. Forgot to swap in a ring for rN+++. Still managed to scrape through it. Recite is quite strong!

Also faced... like 10+ pan-lords on a late pan themed level.

I didn't know what to do in Spider Nest levels. I'd get 1 tornado off before my mana got eaten. Disc of Storms carried through. I had like- 4 Spider Nest themed levels in a row at the end. Pretty lucky!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 07:01

esmelusina wrote:Walked out of Z:27 unscathed!

Grats! I haven't dared to try and clear a Zig without Makhleb's heal-from-kills.

esmelusina wrote:STILL NO HASTE.

Are you talking about the spell? It doesn't exist in 0.19. No that big of deal, as hasting wand + recharging is enough to use in tricky situations. One just can't have it on all the time.

esmelusina wrote:Also faced... like 10+ pan-lords on a late pan themed level.

Pan-themed levels are the hardest, especially in later Zigs. With my HESk zigbuster I found Zig:27 Pan level in the 6th Zig quite tricky even with Necromutation/Tornado/Glaciate/Fire Storm/Disjunction/Darkness combo.

esmelusina wrote:I didn't know what to do in Spider Nest levels. I'd get 1 tornado off before my mana got eaten. Disc of Storms carried through. I had like- 4 Spider Nest themed levels in a row at the end. Pretty lucky!

Invisibility solves those, either the spell or evocable one.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 07:37

Ah-- that explains haste! I'm just now reading about that on the wiki. Looks like I have a full library with this Necronomicon I just picked up.

I used invis evokes, but that didn't seem to do anything.

My Pan level was z:24, with 14 lords. Tornado+Recite did most of the work. Can't remember if I used a sanctuary here or not.

An earlier Greater Mummy level (z:14) was scariest-- but I'm totally irrational around those guys. My closest near-death experience was actually in a Dis-themed level. Corrosion and heavy hitters started to put some work on me.

Also had to fight a player ghost on z:26 (slimes, I think). I ate several crystal spears. The duel lasted around 30 turns.

*phew* First zig- just a little to excited. I felt really good about using Zin. I'll probably look into regenMP and regen+++ to take better advantage of sanctuary.

Lot to digest. Don't think I'm any better at this game though T__T.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th December 2016, 00:59

Mana drianing on spider levels comes from monsters who don't see invisible so the trick is to NOT haste but make yourself invisible, otherwise you are glowing i.e. not invisible despite invisibility status is active (it's displayed in gray as far as I remember to show that it does not work).
'
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 25th December 2016, 13:30

Discord helps in Spiders (with Invisible, as mentioned above) and Dis/Earth levels. Don't be afraid to cast it multiple times in succession to affect the corroding guys.

Also, Disc of Storms is strong.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice