Choosing a god with an Ice Elementalist

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 17:09

Choosing a god with an Ice Elementalist

Hi there !

Tired to play melee, I decided to try spellcasters. I have a Golden draconian Ice elementalist. And I wonder which god to choose ? Vehumet worked fine with my fire elementalist attempt, but I don't know if this god could work with ice. Any ideas ?

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 17:26

Re: Choosing a god with an Ice Elementalist

Vehumet would also work with an Ice elementalist, but perhaps not to the same extent as a fire elementalist. Vehumet focuses on destructive conjurations, and you'll notice that your starting Book of Frost has some other things in it as well. You have a bit of charms in Ozocubu's Armour and some summoning in your Ice Beasts.

If you are determined to continue in a mage style I'd recommend going with either Sif Muna of Ashenzari for gods. Sif muna encourages training different spell schools to gain piety which is good since you starting book already has a few different schools in it. With Sif Muna you also get gifts of magic books later, which will help you upgrade your magic later on once your starting book runs out of steam.

Ashenzari has a lot of useful passive abilities which are great for all kinds of characters, but his skill boosts are especially good for mages. Getting your skills boosted means that your spell skills will get stronger quicker, and that you can afford to branch out a bit more to different spell schools since you only need to invest a little bit in each and then allow the passive boost to do the rest. You'll have to curse your own equipment to get the boosts, but that's nothing to worry about.

I should also point out that Ice Elementalists and Draconians do make for decent hybrid characters as well. Draconians have innate armour and decent aptitudes for fighting skills. The lack of any body armour also means you don't have anything to interfere with your spellcasting skills. Ice Elemtalists have Ozocubu's Armour which makes you even tougher in melee and Ice Beasts are great for helping out in fights and for occupying enemies while you fight them. Your starting spell Freeeze also has a very short range, meaning that you have to be close to enemies to use it, which means that it's a good idea to train some defenses even if you want to be a mage. If you're willing to go more of the "hybrid" route, then there are a lot of goods which could work.

For this message the author Dioneo has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 17:43

Go kiku. You get guaranteed access to a bunch of good support spells and a really easy path to hybridization with pain brand should you choose to take it.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 3
dracos369, duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 17:53

Kiku's allies do overlap with summoned beasts, though it's easier to get simulacra online.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 20:28

Kiku and dith are probably the best.
Makhleb, ru, oka, sif and other good gods are okay.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 22:37

Wow ! So many choices... I will test it one by one ^^ Thanks a lot :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 22:54

Better win with first god you chose ;)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 18:13

Chei, of course. Always Chei for hybrids

Abyss Ambulator