dealing with DrTm ghosts as DrTm

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 31st July 2011, 04:02

dealing with DrTm ghosts as DrTm

Searched the forums, couldn't find what I was looking for here.

I'm still new to DCSS (tend to die on or before DL:10) and I've been playing draconian transmuter almost exclusively since discovering the class. I really enjoy it. Unfortunately, as I die so regularly around the same levels, I've quite a selection of DrTm ghosts to deal with, and my high score list is filling up with 'killed by String's Ghost'. They bombard me with confusion gas and negative energy, they're immune to my sources of poison (confusion too I think) and more often than not they wreck me in hand to hand combat. These ghosts show up early enough that I usually have no defenses to their attacks. What can I do?

actually, now that I see it, this probly belongs in the small questions thread...

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 31st July 2011, 08:03

Re: dealing with DrTm ghosts as DrTm

1. Get up stealth and skip floors that have ghosts on them.
2. Play online and have other people kill your ghosts.
3. Roll a necromancer to kill off your ghosts.
4. Quit the game when you see a ghost. Each ghost can only be generated once.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 31st July 2011, 11:45

Their breath only reaches so far, and you can see them from farther away than they can throw potions. Spider form runs faster than they do. So run for the downstairs in spider form when you see one. Use the map to mark the ghost's last position as an exclusion, and it will appear the ctrl-o dungeon overview screen and autotravel won't wander near it.

If you get blade hands, a good conjuration from a book, rod, or wand, or dispel undead all along with poison and rN resist within a few floors, come back and kill it. If you wait too long the experience will be too small to matter, but the threat will be too small to care about by then so it won't matter.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 1st August 2011, 07:58

undead don't generate Ghosts. You can therefore play as a Ghmo, GhBe VaWz or MuIE to try to thin the ghosts out a bit, while trying out an alternative play style.
A troll caster is a hybrid

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 08:06

i am new to the game and i really am having fun learning and discovering such tactics

"training on the use of my collapsible batons and mastering it"

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice