weapons:?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 20:20

weapons:?

generally speaking it's better a good branded weapon (e.g. a poison whip pre-during lair) or a heavier weapon (e.g. dire flail unenchanted)?
My experience would say the poison whip, I see enemies dying so fast, but I've always read that is the weapon dmg that makes the difference.
I'm confused.
Thanks for any help.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 20:21

Re: weapons:?

I don't think venom brand damage depends on weapon base damage at all. A fast weapon of poison will destroy anything not immune in early game. Same with elec and drain.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Utis

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 20:24

Poison whip is good early game but it is bad vs monsters with rPois (zombies, hydra) and almost useless vs high AC monsters with rPois (orb of fire, ancient lich etc.), that's why people recommend to train some other weapon late game.

fsim does not work properly for venom brand but it can be very useful to compare weapons with all other brands.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 20:24

I'm not sure there can be any general rules about these things. Depends a lot on your skill, on the brands in question and the base-type of the weapon. Brands also differ a lot in usefulness depending on where you are in the game. I find that poison loses a lot of its usefulness after the early game, while something like holy wrath is much more useful in extended.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 20:26

thank you all, your suggestions are much welcomed and indeed gave an answer to my question :)
(bad thing is: I'm more or less drunk and I can't explain properly what I meant in english, but I assure you, you answered to my question ^^)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 21:00

please, don't drink and dive (the dungeon)

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 21:32

indeed i died :)

For this message the author torrenera has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 22:36

torrenera wrote:indeed i died :)

Well, it's ok as long as you can put a smiley at the end. Playing while drunk is fun but it sure leads to unnecessary deaths...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2016, 09:15

dammit I should avoid posting on tavern while drunk :D :D :D

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2016, 18:06

Venom branded fast/accurate weapons are good in the early game because there are many enemies that you cannot go toe-to-toe with in melee without dying in the early game, but you can hit an enemy a few times and run away while it dies. Later on, a heavy weapon with elec or freezing is ideal, or the heaviest 1h with a shield. The problem with the latter strategy is that quality 1 handed weapons are rare.
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2016, 20:02

VeryAngryFelid wrote:fsim does not work properly for venom brand but it can be very useful to compare weapons with all other brands.
Draining and chaos are two more that don't give terribly useful results from fsim.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 09:06

For chaos this is a hint. Also fsim is usable for distortion, as tele away and banishment are quite good at dealing with monsters.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 18:53

stickyfingers wrote:tele away and banishment are quite good at dealing with monsters.

I'm not experienced with It, just the few times i was stuck there avoiding a banishment by unwield i REALLY hated to run all over the floor hunting for teleported-away free experience :-/
Is that really a good brand?

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 19:03

neverEnough wrote:I'm not experienced with [distortion brand], just the few times i was stuck there avoiding a banishment by unwield i REALLY hated to run all over the floor hunting for teleported-away free experience :-/
Is that really a good brand?

Yes, it's a good brand from an objective point of view. A bot would probably take a distortion weapon.
No, it's a bad brand from many players' point of view because it's very tedious.

After all, it's your decision.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 21:44

Distortion is extremely strong because it either literally kills enemies or functionally kills enemies

As for hunting down experience: if you're playing standard Crawl you didn't need it anyway

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 05:52

Distortion is fantastic if you:

a.) Are a stabber or caster
b.) Are with Lugonu and can freely swap

It's not so great in most other cases, unless you really like blinking enemies with ranged attacks out of melee range. It's powerful, but extremely annoying.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 21:39

Sprucery wrote:
torrenera wrote:indeed i died :)

Well, it's ok as long as you can put a smiley at the end. Playing while drunk is fun but it sure leads to unnecessary deaths...

True. OTOH, not being drunk while playing implies unnecessary sobriety. It's a coin toss, IMO.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

For this message the author Utis has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 31st December 2016, 10:38

Disto is strong enough to use all game long on almost any weapon provided you're capable of training throwing.

The exp loss is completely negligable.

You generaly want fast weapon + additive brand (disto, pain, electro, early venom/drain) or heavy weapon + multiplicitive brand (speed, vamp, holy, freeze). One hander + shield and throwing or 2 hander + launcher is just preferance/dropluck unless you're playing a naga, formicid, a troll or you're playing extended with tso aka the god of free shotguns.

Antimagic and flame are special snowflakes and uac is uac.

For this message the author NhorianScum has received thanks:
neverEnough

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 12:43

Note that heavy weapon + additive brand is ok as well. As long as the base weapon type is ok, additive brand does not make it worse.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
nago, neverEnough, NhorianScum

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice