Need advice- 3 floor shaft drop into azrael.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 21:56

Need advice- 3 floor shaft drop into azrael.

I fell 3 floors from 10 to 13 into a 2x3 room with 3 hell hounds, 1 fire elemental, and Azrael. I'm in the middle on a side without doors. Every single opponent is adjacent to me. THEY ARE ALL ASLEEP!

I've been breezing through the game up to this point. One of my first runs on .19.

Here's my character dump:
L11 Naga, Artificer, Nemelex

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/esmel ... lusina.txt

I usually don't pick up a god so late and Nemelex .19 doesn't really perform like I'm used to (Easy-mode >__<)- probably go back for Gozag or Ash after this. Azrael has never really given me trouble before, but I'd like to get some advice from the pros on how to handle this situation optimally. I'm not a great player-- I typically run Naga Artificer because it's like a free pass to the first artifact, which is usually enough to carry me to the top tier evocation tools. This way I don't have to worry about a specific spell-casting strategy.

Some options I'm considering:
[*]I can dig or teleport out.
[*]I could throw on fire resist (3x) and battle- but I'm not sure which weapon I should use or what my odds are like. I have no weapon skill yet <__<, haven't found a decent weapon so far. I know Holy gets a bonus vs. Azrael and Hounds, but I'm not sure if I'll be hitting them effectively. If I put rings on I risk losing the free hit from sleep.
[*]I am wearing 2 rings of stealth and they're all asleep-- do rings contribute to stabbing bonus? Azrael's MR bonus is a bit high, but I could try confusing for more stab opportunities? I typically don't run stabbing characters, so I have no idea. Probably not worth it.
[*]Does disintegrate work properly against Azrael? I could probably use the sleeping status for a free hit w/holy flail and then follow up w/disintegrate spam.

Vs. Azrael
Slow is 58%
Disintegrate is 72%
Confusion is 47%

If I fight, should I focus Azrael first and try to tank his minions? I can probably handle 6 hellfires total before I'm dead. My defensive capabilities are quite good though. Would disintegrate be the safest/easiest route in this case?

Thanks!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 22:23

Re: Need advice- 3 floor shaft drop into azrael.

That's quite a shafting I must say.

Without weapon and Stealth skills, your stabbing bonus is close to 0 so trying to get a stab doesn't help. That little killdudes at this point is quite a challenge game I must say.

I'd probably put on protection from fire first, no matter what. I've rarely used /disint to blow up dudes, so I have no idea whether it's more effective than the flail, but at least using it only takes 1 turn, the flail at 0 skill takes more than that. If you manage to kill someone, backup from the summoning deck might do some good as well.

You could dig out but the resulting fight might just drag more monsters into it.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 22:39

I would read ?tele first, then quaff heal wounds if you take damage while waiting for the teleport. If a hell hound (or Azrael) wakes up after you read ?tele but does not immediately damage you, try to confuse it. If nothing wakes up, switch a ring for rF+.

The scroll of fear does not work well in a closed space I assume. Or maybe it could buy you a turn from the hounds if they wake up...?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 23:24

Hell hounds are demonic and immune to fear, unless something has changed recently without my knowledge.

Definitely pop a teleport and do whatever seems likely to mitigate damage until it fires off, fitting in a magic mapping if you get a spare turn. Odds are pretty good you'll end up somewhere better than a spot where you're completely surrounded by a unique's entourage. You also don't know what is just beyond the black that will immediately come to investigate all the noise that Azrael will make if you try to fight this out.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice